Return to BigSpud Menu

Subject: prep for a "baked" (bbq) potato?
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Doug Mitchell <jmjm[at]sprint.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 07:28:42 -0400
--------
Dear Group,

To "bake" potatoes on a gas grill does one do

any seasoning of the skin?

any oil on the outside?

put it in foil?

How long and for what temp is appropriate?

thanks for the advice,

Doug

============================

From: readandpost <readandpostNOT[at]yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:29:33 GMT
--------
we put the potatoes on a shelf in our grill, without prep to skin, other
than a good bath!
if the meat we are cooking will be quick, we pre-cook the potatoes in the
micro for 10 minutes on HIGH and then pop them on the grill to "crisp" the
skins!

============================

From: Grandma <krmwb[at]earthlink.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:25:00 GMT
--------
My family likes potatoes on the grill  this way:  Cut into chunks (skins on)
and pile onto a double sheet of heavy duty foil.  Sprinkle liberally with
Italian salad dressing.  Seal foil to form a packet and cook on the grill
for an hour or so, turning packet now and then so it cooks on all sides.
Not baked I know, but I wouldn't want to have to answer for turning out
grilled potatoes any other way :)

============================

From: greykits[at]aol.com (karlie)
Date: 31 Aug 2001 22:10:25 GMT
--------
I like to do them the girl scout way, cut up with lots of onions, oil or
butter, salt and pepper, then sealed in foil.  Or, take a potato and cut it in
half the long way, season, put in a bay leaf, put back together and secure with
a string.  

Some of the best potatoes I've had grilled (actually no grill, just a campfire)
were when you just put them on the coals, let them bake till the outside was
all black.  The insides were good.  We were kids, it was an autumn campfire
thing with us.  

============================

From: Michael <dog3[at]mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:26:26 -0700
--------
karlie wrote:
> Some of the best potatoes I've had grilled (actually no grill, just a campfire)
> were when you just put them on the coals, let them bake till the outside was
> all black.  The insides were good.  We were kids, it was an autumn campfire
> thing with us.

I've done something similar on the grill and I've also done it in the oven.
I usually use salt, pepper, onions and olive oil and I lay fresh Rosemary on
top of it all, wrap it up and bake it.

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 1 Sep 2001 00:36:13 GMT
--------
Grandma wrote:
> My family likes potatoes on the grill  this way:  Cut into chunks (skins on)
> and pile onto a double sheet of heavy duty foil.  Sprinkle liberally with
> Italian salad dressing.  Seal foil to form a packet and cook on the grill
> for an hour or so, turning packet now and then so it cooks on all sides.
> Not baked I know, but I wouldn't want to have to answer for turning out
> grilled potatoes any other way :)

So how is this any better than using your oven to cook the potatoes?
Other than avoiding having to turn on the oven, the wrapping tightly
in double layers of foil would negate the benefit that a barbecue
would provide.

============================

From: aquari[at]aol.comNOJUNK (Aquari)
Date: 31 Aug 2001 12:35:35 GMT
--------
Others will have more info for you; however I did this the other day halving
the potato when washed and then oiling it.  Put on grill to side of meat...it
took less time than I thought it would and it was really very good.  I seasoned
it after grilling.

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 31 Aug 2001 15:27:33 GMT
--------
Doug Mitchell wrote:
> To "bake" potatoes on a gas grill does one do
> any seasoning of the skin?
> any oil on the outside?
> put it in foil?

Its entirely up to you. Whatever you like is fine.
I do find, however, that in a hot fire, the skin of
potatoes burns rather easily so I wrap them in two
layers of foil and pierce the foil several times with
a knife in order to let out the steam.

I then cover the potato directly under a pile of
hot coals and just let it sit for 45 minutes for a
medium or large size potato. This results in a potato
with a nice crispy skin and a soft interior.

If you want to oil the skin first and/or cover it
with course salt, by all means, feel free to do it
if you think you'll enjoy the result.

============================

From: Michael <dog3[at]mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:47:13 -0700
--------
Doug Mitchell wrote:
> To "bake" potatoes on a gas grill does one do
> any seasoning of the skin?
> any oil on the outside?
> put it in foil?
> How long and for what temp is appropriate?

Hi Doug, I think it's more a matter of preference than technique.  Depending
on the time the meat takes to cook determines what I do with mine.  I use
the rack on the grill for potatoes.  I scrub the potato first.  If the
potatoes are going to be on the grill for awhile I'll use oil on the skin to
keep it from getting too crisp.  I like a crisp skin but not burnt crisp. If
I'm using oil, if the mood strikes, I'll rub the skin with some coarse
Kosher or sea salt but not always.  Sometimes I just plop 'em on the rack
and let 'em cook.


Return to BigSpud Menu