[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Boling potatoes in stock
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Barry(UK) 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 05:23:11 +0100
--------
I wondered if anyone had actually boiled or par-boiled their potatoes in 
stock or any "flavour enhanced" water?
As a real beginner on the cookery front I would like to gain some advice 
from you all.
As most do, I add to my mashed potatoes. Butter,cream,cheese etc etc. I 
have never tried to add a flavour in the boiling process, so I wondered 
if any had tried.
Just to clarify,in case someone reads too fast. I am talking about 
adding the flavour to(in the water) boiled potatoes.
I have been thinking about this a while. Boiling your potatoes in a 
stock (any), or adding a star anise or a handful of cracked cardamom 
seeds to the your water, sounds good to me,but who knows !

============================

From: elaine 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:44:10 -0400
--------
I added curry powder once.  It was ok.

============================

From: Phyllis Stone 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:16:57 GMT
--------
I almost always add chicken broth to water, really not much water,I use the 
broth/water for gravy after the potatoes are done. 

============================

From: Little.Malice[at]gmail.communge (Little Malice)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:31:06 GMT
--------
One time on Usenet, Phyllis Stone said:
> I almost always add chicken broth to water, really not much water,I use the 
> broth/water for gravy after the potatoes are done. 

That sounds like an interesting idea, I'll have to try it. I'd never 
heard of what Barry is proposing, but it sounds good...

============================

From: Joseph Littleshoes 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:47:18 -0700
--------
Little Malice wrote:
> That sounds like an interesting idea, I'll have to try it. I'd never 
> heard of what Barry is proposing, but it sounds good...
 
"Braising" potatoes in stock or even wine is an old trick, and very nice 
for gnocchi or potato croquettes & such.

Slice new potatoes and set to braise in just enough stock to cover, when 
done season with a bit of salt & pepper and serve with butter, if 
available a burerre de aiole (garlic butter).

============================

From: Joseph Littleshoes 
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:13:51 -0700
--------
Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> "Braising" potatoes in stock or even wine is an old trick, and very nice 
> for gnocchi or potato croquettes & such.
> 
> Slice new potatoes and set to braise in just enough stock to cover, when 
> done season with a bit of salt & pepper and serve with butter, if 
> available a burerre de aiole (garlic butter).

Also consider for a moment, Risotto is often made with milk, stock or 
wine, red wine risotto is very tasty but IMO don't look very good.

============================

From: rosie 
Date: 10 Apr 2007 05:20:02 -0700
--------
Barry(UK) wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had actually boiled or par-boiled their potatoes in
> stock or any "flavour enhanced" water?

I often boil the potatoes in chicken broth, --to me , the potatoes
pick up a bit of the stock taste and have a bit more flavor.Have never
tried adding anything else to the cooking liquid, but when mashing the
potatoes , I have added garllic  with good results.

============================

From: JoeSpareBedroom 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:22:33 GMT
--------
Barry(UK) wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had actually boiled or par-boiled their potatoes in 
> stock or any "flavour enhanced" water?

It's good that you're asking, because experimenting on your own could prove 
disastrous. This is why professional chefs take extreme precautions before 
proceeding with new ingredients. This is a picture of chef Bobby Flay doing 
some preliminary inspections of big cans of capers & olives:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/images/dhs-6.jpg

============================

From: The Usual Suspect 
Date: 10 Apr 2007 11:09:39 -0700
--------
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> It's good that you're asking, because experimenting on your own could prove
> disastrous. This is why professional chefs take extreme precautions before
> proceeding with new ingredients. This is a picture of chef Bobby Flay doing
> some preliminary inspections of big cans of capers & olives:

I always boil my potatos in stock for potato salad.  I hate big chunks
of flavorless potato.  Sometimes, I add a boullion cube, onions,
garlic, pepper.   Experiment away!  Just try things in smaller
quantities, never when you need to serve it to others,  and taste,
taste, taste along the way.  That's how you get great new recipies!

============================

From: cybercat 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:45:19 -0400
--------
The Usual Suspect wrote
> I always boil my potatos in stock for potato salad.  I hate big chunks
> of flavorless potato.

What kind of potatoes do you usually use for potato salad? 

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: 10 Apr 2007 13:23:48 -0700
--------
The Usual Suspect wrote:
> I always boil my potatos in stock for potato salad.  I hate big chunks
> of flavorless potato.

Hmm, and I always thought potatoes should taste like -duh- potatoes.

============================

From: cybercat 
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:33:49 -0400
--------
Sheldon wrote:
>Hmm, and I always thought potatoes should taste like -duh- potatoes.

They all have different flavore, you ass. 

============================

From: Melba's Jammin' 
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:31:37 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> Hmm, and I always thought potatoes should taste like -duh- potatoes.

Hear, hear!!

============================

From: Melba's Jammin' 
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:28:11 -0500
--------
Barry(UK) wrote:
> I have been thinking about this a while. Boiling your potatoes in a 
> stock (any), or adding a star anise or a handful of cracked cardamom 
> seeds to the your water, sounds good to me,but who knows !

Boil a spud and report back, Barry.  You might be trendsetter.  At the 
least of it, potatoes aren't an expensive investment if it turns out to 
be a bust.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: 11 Apr 2007 06:38:44 -0700
--------
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Boil a spud and report back, Barry. You might be trendsetter. At the
> least of it, potatoes aren't an expensive investment if it turns out to
> be a bust.

I got a big pot o spuds acookin' in full cream right now, how big a
bust you think? ;)

============================

From: jay 
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:45:46 GMT
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> I got a big pot o spuds acookin' in full cream right now, how big a
> bust you think? ;)

For full cream you need at least double D's.

saggin

============================

From: No One 
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:54:25 -0400
--------
Barry(UK) wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had actually boiled or par-boiled their potatoes in
> stock or any "flavour enhanced" water?

When my mother made chicken soup, she always put in a couple medium sized
potatoes for eating.  They  were delicious as a side to the soup as well as
cold with just salt.  I still do it occasionally today.  The taste of the
potato cooked in the soup is outstanding and decidedly delicious cold.

============================

From: mrorwell 
Date: 12 Apr 2007 04:37:32 GMT
--------
Barry(UK) wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had actually boiled or par-boiled their potatoes in 
> stock or any "flavour enhanced" water?

All the time.

I use canned beef broth, enough to cover the cubed potatoes.  Fresh ground 
pepper goes in to the pot, but no salt... there's enough in the canned 
broth.  I cook them on low heat to allow the potatoes to absorb as much of 
the flavor as possible.  This will obviously lengthen the cooking time.  

I allow the broth to boil off/be absorbed till it's mostly gone.  There's 
enough liquid left to leave a very intense beefy sauce.  When you break 
them open, they are usually saturated with the broth completely (or almost 
completely, depending on the cube size) through.  

They make a great side dish for steak.


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]