[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Making oven-baked potato chips.
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: MilwaukeeConnaisseur 
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:09:55 -0600
--------
In my quest to improve my diet and lose weight, I have tried to make
oven baked potato chips. As a first experiment I tried to just make a
vanilla batch. They mostly came out OK.  One potato made three
batches, The first batch i forgot that my oven bakes unevenly, and
didn't rotate them until late in the cooking. The third batch, I
burned my hand putting them in and spilled them all over.

They were great, and I could see them replacing most potato side
dishes except for one thing. It seems a lot of work to make them on a
per chip basis.

The main problem is that until the chips become dry, they can't
overlap ( or they'll stick ). Once they are dry though, I could put
them in a cake pan and let them bake the rest of the way no problems.

Suggestions?

============================

From: JoeSpareBedroom 
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:36:58 GMT
--------
Try baked whole potatoes. It's a new thing and recipes might be hard to come 
by. 

============================

From: Ron Kelley 
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:39:32 -0800
--------
At one time there was a handy little gadget called the Micro Chip that
made potato chips in the microwave.  A google search turned up a lot
of hits, but I don't know if any were the actual manufacturer.  Check
out

http://www.as-seen-on-tv-products.ws/store/html/MICRO_CHIP_MAKER___HWCM1-.html

Several other people told of using the maker and offered suggestions
for various flavors to add to the chips.  We had one once and as I
recall it made passable potato chips.

============================

From: Janet Baraclough 
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:52:49 GMT
--------
The message from MilwaukeeConnaisseur contains these words:
>In my quest to improve my diet and lose weight, I have tried to make
>oven baked potato chips. 

>Suggestions?

Buy frozen low-fat oven-chips?

============================

From: Janet Bostwick 
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:40:15 -0700
--------
Janet Baraclough wrote:
> Buy frozen low-fat oven-chips?

I think terminology is a problem here.  I think the OP is posting about 
making crisps or potato chips and you are thinking of chips or French Fries. 
I think. . .

============================

From: Janet Baraclough 
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:25:09 GMT
--------
The message from Janet Bostwick contains these words:
> I think terminology is a problem here.  I think the OP is posting about 
> making crisps or potato chips and you are thinking of chips or French Fries. 
> I think. . .

Yes, I was,  thanks for the post

============================

From: Mark Thorson 
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:22:01 -0800
--------
MilwaukeeConnaisseur wrote:
> The main problem is that until the chips become dry, they can't
> overlap ( or they'll stick ). Once they are dry though, I could put
> them in a cake pan and let them bake the rest of the way no problems.
> 
> Suggestions?

Buy a convection oven.  This is exactly what
a convection oven does best -- drying stuff
out while baking it.

============================

From: cybercat 
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:22:44 -0500
--------
MilwaukeeConnaisseur wrote:
> Suggestions?

Get off of potatoes altogether, unless it's an occasiona baked potato.
Their glycemic index is off the charts. You might as well just apply them
to your ass. 

============================

From: Bobo Bonobo® 
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:35:14 -0800 (PST)
--------
cybercat wrote:
> Get off of potatoes altogether, unless it's an occasiona baked potato.
> Their glycemic index is off the charts. You might as well just apply them
> to your ass.

I second that.

--Bryan


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]