Return to BigSpud Menu

Subject: Easy Hash Brown Potatoes
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: googletupperware <googletupperware[at]hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 07:59:40 -0700
--------
EASY HASH BROWN POTATOES

3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. Tupperware Ragin' Cajun seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Mix potatoes, onion, seasoning and salt and pepper in Tupperware Thatsa
Bowl.   Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in Tupperware Chef Series 9-1/2" fry pan
over medium heat.    Pack potato mixture firmly in pan with Tupperware
Saucy Silicone Spatula, leaving 1/2" space around edge.

Turn down heat to Medium Low.   Cook about 10-15 minutes or until
bottom is brown.   Drizzle remaining oil evenly over potatoes.   Cut
potato mixture in fourths, turn over.   Cook about 10-12 minutes longer
or until bottom is golden brown.

Cathy
www.mytupperware.com/cathyhague

============================

From: Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send <mmeahan[at]TRASHsonic.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:11:25 -0700
--------
googletupperware wrote:
> EASY HASH BROWN POTATOES

Well, scrap this recipe.  I don't own any tupperware, nor do I ever 
intend to buy any.  ROTFL

============================

From: George <george[at]nospam.invalid>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:34:22 -0400
--------
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send wrote:
> Well, scrap this recipe.  I don't own any tupperware, nor do I ever 
> intend to buy any.  ROTFL

Yea, and who would use "frozen shredded potatoes"?

============================

From: notbob <notbob[at]nothome.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:13:32 -0500
--------
George wrote:
> Yea, and who would use "frozen shredded potatoes"?

I would.  But, that was the giveaway.  Why would a recipe using frozen
hash browns be anything other than "Easy".  lol....

============================

From: Jill McQuown <jmcquown[at]bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:04:49 -0500
--------
notbob wrote:
> I would.  But, that was the giveaway.  Why would a recipe using frozen
> hash browns be anything other than "Easy".  lol....

So true!  And I didn't realize Tupperware had expanded into selling
seasonings... just another way to rook people out of their money, I suppose.
I won't buy Tupperware containers because the cost is outrageous.  I can
find something that works just as well, if not better, for much less at
Target or WalMart or even the corner drug store.

============================

From: Donna Currie <dmbcurrie.nospam[at]hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:04:30 -0600
--------
Jill McQuown wrote:
> So true!  And I didn't realize Tupperware had expanded into selling
> seasonings... just another way to rook people out of their money, I suppose.
> I won't buy Tupperware containers because the cost is outrageous.  I can
> find something that works just as well, if not better, for much less at
> Target or WalMart or even the corner drug store.

Color me old, but I remember when Tupperware was a Big Thing to have. It was 
expensive, but there was nothing else like it.

It was either Tupperware, or you were saving leftovers in cottage cheese 
containers.

Now it's still expensive, but I've got to say that I'm so much happier with 
the cheap stuff. I can take it somewhere and not worry about whether I get 
it back or not. I can't imagine spending the big bucks on Tupperware now 
unless they've come up with some new miracle design that nobody else has. 
Yeah, right.

I've still got Tupperware that I got (mumble mumble) years ago. So I guess I 
got my money out of it.

============================

From: "-L." <gentleboa[at]peacemail.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 23:16:20 -0700
--------
Donna Currie wrote:
> Color me old, but I remember when Tupperware was a Big Thing to have. It was
> expensive, but there was nothing else like it.

Tupperware is ungodly expensive but one must-have piece is their Salad
Spinner.  It has a lifetime guarantee and is worth every penny of the
$30 I paid for it.

============================

From: Jill McQuown <jmcquown[at]bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:32:46 -0500
--------
-L. wrote:
> Tupperware is ungodly expensive but one must-have piece is their Salad
> Spinner.  It has a lifetime guarantee and is worth every penny of the
> $30 I paid for it.

My mom gave me one of their "hamburger press" sets once.  Stackable little
round tupperware containers with a "collar" and a press and a lid for the
top container so you could stick all the burgers in the freezer.  I wound up
using the round containers as pet food bowls :)

============================

From: Steve Wertz <swertz[at]cluemail.compost>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:51:07 GMT
--------
googletupperware wrote:
> EASY HASH BROWN POTATOES

Replace all occurances of "Tupperware" with "Rubbermaid".

============================

From: Mordechai Housman <housman[at]verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:45:38 GMT
--------
Steve Wertz wrote:
> Replace all occurances of "Tupperware" with "Rubbermaid".

Yeah, but what should we replace all the REST of the words with? 

============================

From: aem <aem_again[at]yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 09:58:41 -0700
--------
googletupperware wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Mix potatoes, onion, seasoning and salt and pepper in Tupperware Thatsa
> Bowl.   Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in Tupperware Chef Series 9-1/2" fry pan
> over medium heat.    Pack potato mixture firmly in pan with Tupperware
> Saucy Silicone Spatula, leaving 1/2" space around edge.
>
> Turn down heat to Medium Low.   Cook about 10-15 minutes or until
> bottom is brown.   Drizzle remaining oil evenly over potatoes.   Cut
> potato mixture in fourths, turn over.   Cook about 10-12 minutes longer
> or until bottom is golden brown.

Even without the ludicrous product name mentions this is a bad recipe.
You want higher heat to get the potatoes crispy rather than oil-soaked.
This recipe wants you to cook frozen shredded product for 20-37
minutes.  It should really take 12 -15 at the most.  And there is no
reason for "cutting" the potatoes into fourths to turn them over.  If
the pan is any good all you have to do is jerk it a few times to loosen
the potatoes from the bottom, then flip.  Incompetent spam.    -aem

============================

From: Mordechai Housman <housman[at]verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:46:02 GMT
--------
googletupperware wrote:
> EASY HASH BROWN POTATOES
>
> 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
> 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
> 1 tsp. Tupperware Ragin' Cajun seasoning
> Salt and pepper to taste
> 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

How would this work without the Cajun seasoning? 

============================

From: Mordechai Housman <housman[at]verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:48:09 GMT
--------
Mordechai Housman wrote:
> How would this work without the Cajun seasoning?

Never mind. I just read the rest of the so-called "recipe."

============================

From: "-L." <gentleboa[at]peacemail.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 00:39:52 -0700
--------
Mordechai Housman wrote:
> Never mind. I just read the rest of the so-called "recipe."

Really you can change any seasons to your liking.  It just depends on
your individual tastes.   If a recipe calls for horseradish, for
example, I leave it out as I hate it. I would use garlic and onion
granules in hash browns, and maybe a little chili powder if it wasn't
for breakfast. 

============================

From: Mordechai Housman <housman[at]verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:46:50 GMT
--------
-L. wrote:
> Really you can change any seasons to your liking.  It just depends on
> your individual tastes.   If a recipe calls for horseradish, for
> example, I leave it out as I hate it. I would use garlic and onion
> granules in hash browns, and maybe a little chili powder if it wasn't
> for breakfast.

Okay true enough. 


Return to BigSpud Menu