[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Mashed potatoes, Ben and Jerry's Style
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Brian Connors 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 02:57:01 GMT
--------
Well, I made my killer (so called because the amount of dairy in it 
could be lethal to my dad) mashed potatoes last night, but had this 
problem: no potato masher. Since I leave the skins on, putting it in the 
KitchenAid didn't seem to be much of an option, so i just beat the tar 
out of it with a wooden spoon. Got mashed potatoes with big, BIG chunks 
of potato in it. No complaints, though it might be a wise idea for me to 
remember that the handle on your average dutch oven gets rather hot in 
the oven....


3 lb russet potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces (skin on)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 c sour cream
4 tbsp butter
~1/2 c milk
salt and pepper to taste

Put potato pieces in a heavy pot with just enough salted water to cover. 
Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender; drain water. Add 
butter. With a wooden spoon or potato masher, stir potatoes until mashed 
(without a potato masher you'll get large chunks in the mix), adding 
garlic and sour cream and stirring thoroughly; set aside for 1/2 hour to 
allow flavors to blend. When ready to serve, stir in milk and reheat in 
a 350F oven.

============================

From: Damsel in dis Dress 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:00:23 GMT
--------
Brian Connors wrote:
>Well, I made my killer (so called because the amount of dairy in it 
>could be lethal to my dad) mashed potatoes last night, but had this 
>problem: no potato masher.

Now you know what to get your dad for Christmas!

============================

From: gloria p 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:12:58 GMT
--------
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Now you know what to get your dad for Christmas!

An angioplasty????

============================

From: Damsel in dis Dress 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:15:21 GMT
--------
gloria p wrote:
>An angioplasty????

ROFL!

============================

From: Brian Connors 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 04:21:46 GMT
--------
gloria p wrote:
> An angioplasty????

Eh... been there, done that, got the catheter... twice... Sadly, though, 
changing his eating habits is difficult. The other night there was a 
minor argument over whether he should get a steak and cheese or a steak 
and pepper... believe me, that qualifies as progress. But for 
thanskgiving, hey.

============================

From: jammer 
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:24:56 -0600
--------
Brian Connors wrote:
>Eh... been there, done that, got the catheter... twice... Sadly, though, 
>changing his eating habits is difficult. The other night there was a 
>minor argument over whether he should get a steak and cheese or a steak 
>and pepper... believe me, that qualifies as progress. But for 
>thanskgiving, hey.

14 yrs ago, i hosted a family thanksgiving dinner for my husband's
family. My mother in law a stroke sitting on my couch. But that was
before the meal....

============================

From: Thierry Gerbault 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 06:43:22 GMT
--------
jammer wrote:
> 14 yrs ago, i hosted a family thanksgiving dinner for my husband's
> family. My mother in law a stroke sitting on my couch. But that was
> before the meal....

Did you get to have dinner?

============================

From: jammer 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:57:59 -0600
--------
Thierry Gerbault wrote:
>Did you get to have dinner?

Yes, me and a few people stayed and a few people went to the hospital.
It was a messed up meal, though and then we all cleaned up and went to
the hospital. one month later she had another stroke and we spent
christmas in the hospital. Ahhh....memories.

============================

From: Thierry Gerbault 
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 06:30:13 GMT
--------
jammer wrote:
> Yes, me and a few people stayed and a few people went to the hospital.
> It was a messed up meal, though and then we all cleaned up and went to
> the hospital. one month later she had another stroke and we spent
> christmas in the hospital. Ahhh....memories.

Oh, that's a sad turn of events.  I think it's always difficult, too, 
when bad things happen on holidays.  It's harder to put them behind, as 
each year is a reminder.

============================

From: Brian Connors 
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:56:08 GMT
--------
jammer wrote:
> 14 yrs ago, i hosted a family thanksgiving dinner for my husband's
> family. My mother in law a stroke sitting on my couch. But that was
> before the meal....

Talking about my dad again -- one Christmas a couple of years ago he 
wound up in the hospital after some kind of episode for what amounted to 
a three-day checkup. AFAIK they never did figure out what was wrong with 
him, though I refuse to blame it on the fact that I cooked Christmas 
dinner....

============================

From: Dimitri 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:20:29 GMT
--------
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Now you know what to get your dad for Christmas!

Zocor?

============================

From: Louis Cohen 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 04:03:27 GMT
--------
I mashed mine in the KA, skins on.  But, the spuds were already cut into
1-2" pieces.

Also, I did half and half potatoes and celeriac (which I did peel).  Some
guests liked it, some didn't.  Added nothing.

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 30 Nov 2002 16:46:00 GMT
--------
Brian Connors wrote:
>  so i just beat the tar 
> out of it with a wooden spoon. Got mashed potatoes with big, BIG chunks 
> of potato in it. No complaints, though it might be a wise idea for me to 
> remember that the handle on your average dutch oven gets rather hot in 
> the oven....

Hah! Speaking of burns, a friend and I were at the Tropicana casino resort
in Atlantic City on Wednesday. As we were waiting for an elevator, I
noticed these really interesting looking lights above the elevator that
were within my reach. The light was a small flat disk shape about the
diameter of a golf ball. It had no apparant bulb in it. I don't know why,
but I got the stupid idea to stand on my toes to reach up and touch one of
them with my index finger! Ouch!  That damned light was blistering hot. My
finger hurt for an hour after that! 

New rule: don't touch lights that have been on for long periods of time! 

============================

From: jay 
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:27:39 GMT
--------
Brian Connors wrote:
>3 lb russet potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces (skin on)
>2 cloves garlic, minced
>2/3 c sour cream
>4 tbsp butter
>~1/2 c milk
>salt and pepper to taste

Good recipe!  Try using buttermilk sometime.  Great heart healthy food
(: and lends some nice tartness.

============================

From: Brian Connors 
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 00:00:03 GMT
--------
jay wrote:
> Good recipe!  Try using buttermilk sometime.  Great heart healthy food
> (: and lends some nice tartness.

I thought about it -- I had some on hand for making cornbread -- but it 
struck me as being redundant with the sour cream. I might try it next 
time, though.


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]