[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Mashed Potatoes: skin on or skinless ?
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Niki 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:43:05 -0500
--------
I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot beef
stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a sentence with
a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know. Peel the potatoes
or not: that's the question....

============================

From: Sheryl  Rosen 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:38:52 GMT
--------
I'm sorry. Only you can answer that question.
Do you like potato skins in your mashed potatoes?

I happen to like the peels in the mashed potatoes. Lots of people don't
though.

I'm afraid this is a question that relies on your personal choice.

============================

From: Quasinerd 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:37:33 GMT
--------
> I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes.  Peel the potatoes
> or not: that's the question....

A friend uses the pealer to make the potatoes look
striped -  half pealed.  :-)

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:37:04 GMT
--------
Quasinerd wrote:
> A friend uses the pealer to make the potatoes look
> striped -  half pealed.  :-)

You friggin' Ding Dong School drop out...  it's PEEL!

You didn't even read (comprehend) the post you replied to... see how many
functional illiterates there are... I mean like the correct spelling was
right in your face, but no, you had to PEAL your IDIOT'S bell TWICE... DING
DONG!  You, you, you homonym, you!  And no, that doesn't mean you're gay, it
means you're, um, sad.

============================

From: Quasinerd 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:47:56 GMT
--------
Sheldon said:
> You friggin' Ding Dong School drop out...  it's PEEL!

You are right, now I just have to redeem the sentence
by finding a way to peal the peeled potatoes. 

============================

From: Scott 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:32:24 -0600
--------
Quasinerd wrote:
> You are right, now I just have to redeem the sentence
> by finding a way to peal the peeled potatoes.

Watch out, you might receive an unapeeling response from Mr. Grammar

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 20 Jan 2003 16:40:57 GMT
--------
Niki wrote:
> I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot beef
> stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a sentence with
> a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know. Peel the potatoes
> or not: that's the question....

The answer's entirely up to you. I prefer mashed potatoes to have no
lumps. Peeling potatoes is essential for lump-free mashed potatoes.  
Other's don't mind the peels in their mashed potatoes.

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:47:56 -0500
--------
Niki wrote:
>I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. ... Peel the potatoes
>or not: that's the question....

I always peel mine but only because my kids will not eat mashed
potatoes with the skins in them. Fussy.  If I was making them for just
myself, I'd leave the well scrubbed peels on.

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:03:49 -0800
--------
Niki asked:
>I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. ... Peel the potatoes
>or not: that's the question....

Peel. It's nothing to peel 'em once they're boiled but if you find holding
hot potatoes difficult, peel 'em prior.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:36:54 GMT
--------
The Ranger wrote:
> Peel. It's nothing to peel 'em once they're boiled

Yeah, right... with asbestos gloves... or you like cold mashed potatoes.
I've never heard of anyone peeling potatoes for mashed after boiling.  It's
patently obvious that you've never made mashed potatoes.

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:55:36 -0800
--------
Sheldon whined:
> Yeah, right... with asbestos gloves... or you like cold mashed
> potatoes.

Not everyone has your tender hands, or severe handicap with lack of brains.
Stripping the skin off boiled potatoes is easy, painless, and quick -- if
you know how and use the right tools.

> I've never heard of anyone peeling potatoes for mashed after
> boiling.

Yep. "Rocket scientist" would explain many things about you. Mental.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:37:04 GMT
--------
The Ranger wrote:
> Yep. "Rocket scientist" would explain many things about you. Mental.
>
> The Pinochios... Mrs. Ranger and Mr. Deacon

LIARS!

============================

From: Deacon 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:48:55 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> Yep. "Rocket scientist" would explain many things about you. Mental.
>
> The Pinochios... Mrs. Ranger and Mr. Deacon

LIARS!

Huh?  

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:07:51 -0800
--------
Sheldon, in a classic IKYABWAI post, raged:
[snip of regular drool-laced puling]

Yep.

Unimaginative.

Repetitive.

Typical.

============================

From: Archon 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:48:27 +0100
--------
The Ranger wrote:
> Not everyone has your tender hands, or severe handicap with lack of brains.
> Stripping the skin off boiled potatoes is easy, painless, and quick -- if
> you know how and use the right tools.

I always peel them before boiling. It tastes better and is faster to me. 
I hate peeling them after they are boiled.

Michael Nielsen

============================

From: sf 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:25:45 -0800
--------
Archon wrote:
>  I always peel them before boiling. It tastes better and is faster to me. 
>  I hate peeling them after they are boiled.

Yeah, what you said.  The steam burns, knife or not, and the
spuds cool down while you're peeling them.  I prefer to just
drain and mash.

My mother is an "after cooking" peeler but I simply could
not carry on with the family tradition!

============================

From: Pam Jacoby 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:42:29 -0600
--------
sf wrote:
> Yeah, what you said.  The steam burns, knife or not, and the
> spuds cool down while you're peeling them.  I prefer to just
> drain and mash.
>
> My mother is an "after cooking" peeler but I simply could
> not carry on with the family tradition!

If you're going to mash 'em anyway, use a ricer---it'll do the peeling for
you.  I have a recipe that requires the potatoes be cooked skin on.  I tried
it once cooking the potatoes after peeling and it definitely doesn't work!

Pam, posting after many years absence; maybe I'll get rehooked on the group

============================

From: sf 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:29:55 -0800
--------
Pam Jacoby wrote:
>  If you're going to mash 'em anyway, use a ricer---it'll do the peeling for
>  you.  I have a recipe that requires the potatoes be cooked skin on.  I tried
>  it once cooking the potatoes after peeling and it definitely doesn't work!
  
I use a ricer any way for mashing.  Rice & whip.  Cooking
w/o skins takes some care and experience.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:02:57 GMT
--------
Archon wrote:
> I always peel them before boiling. It tastes better and is faster to me.
> I hate peeling them after they are boiled.

You couldn't even if you wanted to, not fresh out of the boiling water, not
with bare hands... and by the time you peeled a pound they'd be cold, or
over cooked from sitting in the hot water... I suppose shit for brains up
there handles hot potatoes with the same tongs what put those dents in his
head when he was birthed.

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:46:15 -0800
--------
Sheldon, still brainless, posted:
> You couldn't even if you wanted to, not fresh out of the boiling
> water, not with bare hands... and by the time you peeled a pound
> they'd be cold, or over cooked from sitting in the hot water...

Again, you wouldn't know given your current tirade but don't let that stop
you from blustering and postering. Since you're too stupid to understand
something once, I'll retype it for you. You can peel fresh-boiled potatoes
quicker than with a peeler. /You/ can't -- as you demonstrate with every
post -- but others can and do.

BTW: The farmer that birthed you... Is he still porkin' your bovine ma or
has he moved on to lettin' you gum him while on your knees?

============================

From: Scott 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:14:41 -0600
--------
The Ranger wrote:
> BTW: The farmer that birthed you... Is he still porkin' your bovine ma or
> has he moved on to lettin' you gum him while on your knees?

Ranger - don't bother, It's a losing battle with ol' Shelley.  No matter
what you say, she'll come back with another assenine outburst.  The best
thing to do with girls like her is to say nothing, she'll get the idea
eventually.  If you really want to get her in a hissy fit, use a little
improper grammar.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:34:27 GMT
--------
Scott wrote:
> Ranger - don't bother, It's a losing battle with ol' Shelley.  No matter
> what you say, she'll come back with another assenine outburst.

The ladies here are just gonna love the likes of you, when they strangle you
with their bras, you misogynistic little prick.

============================

From: Scott 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:22:23 -0600
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> The ladies here are just gonna love the likes of you, when they strangle you
> with their bras, you misogynistic little prick.

Oooh, did I make poor little Shelley mad with something I said?  Maybe now
you know how it feels when you berate and blast others in the group ( ones
who actuallly care or listen to your babble ).  That's all for me with this
thread, have a nice pathetic life!

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 21 Jan 2003 22:26:28 GMT
--------
Scott wrote:
> Ranger - don't bother, It's a losing battle with ol' Shelley.  No matter
> what you say, she'll come back with another assenine outburst. 

Yup, only those with a serious intellectual deficit can ever hope
to win an argument with Shelly.

============================

From: jarkat2002[at]aol.come.on (Jarkat2002)
Date: 21 Jan 2003 02:16:58 GMT
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>BTW: The farmer that birthed you... Is he still porkin' your bovine ma or
>has he moved on to lettin' you gum him while on your knees?

RANGER!!!!
hehehehe
~Kat

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:04:40 GMT
--------
The Ranger wrote:

>but don't let that stop you from blustering and postering.

Postering... so that's what you're doing... ahahahaha...

>You can peel fresh-boiled potatoes quicker than with a peeler.

And how will you hold it, poke a stick in it, I've tried that years ago,
with a fork... but not steaming hot you can't... what a gluey mess!

All you're accomplishing with your juvenile tantrum is proving you've never
boiled a potato... getting the potatoes into the pot you do fine, it's
heating the water on your toys r us stove where you have problems... idiot.

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:29:11 -0800
--------
Sheldon wrote:

> >but don't let that stop you from blustering and postering.
>
> Postering... so that's what you're doing... ahahahaha...

Oooohhh... A /spelling-lame/... You're good. Heh.

> >You can peel fresh-boiled potatoes quicker than with a
> >peeler.
>
> I've tried that years ago, with a fork...

Sort of like your Real LifeŽ sex.

> but not steaming hot you can't... what a gluey mess!

I never said to use a fork but I can understand your not knowing how to use
anything else. That's fine. I'll try another shot at getting you to
understand. Not everyone has to worry about getting their little fingers
burned, or not knowing how to use the multitude of tools available in most
kitchens.

You never did answer my question. I understand your limited attention span
is focused elsewhere.

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:25:47 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>I never said to use a fork but I can understand your not knowing how to use
>anything else. That's fine. I'll try another shot at getting you to
>understand. Not everyone has to worry about getting their little fingers
>burned, or not knowing how to use the multitude of tools available in most
>kitchens.

Okay then...tell us how *YOU* do it Mr. Smartass.

Frankly...and I never *imagined* I would say this in my lifetime..but
I have to agree with Sheldon on this one. It's a right bloody pain in
the ass to try to peel potatoes that have just come off the boil and
are so piping hot you cannot even handle them properly.

============================

From: BOB 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:46:19 GMT
--------
Miss Jaime wrote:
> Okay then...tell us how *YOU* do it Mr. Smartass.

I bet ranger boy is going to say to put the 'taters through a potato ricer...comes out *almost*
mashed while the peeling stays behind.  Not exactly the same as peeling, but the result is
similar.

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:24:43 -0800
--------
BOB wrote:
> I bet ranger boy is going to say to put the 'taters through a potato
> ricer...comes out *almost* mashed while the peeling stays behind.
> Not exactly the same as peeling, but the result is similar.

I don't know what a potato ricer is. Sounds like a tool Shelly should use,
though, since it'll save his tender fingers from being burned.

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:30:05 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>I don't know what a potato ricer is. 

http://americanhistory.si.edu/kitchen/tools02_01.htm

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:31:32 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>I don't know what a potato ricer is. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCJQ/

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:04:39 -0800
--------
Miss Jaime helpfully posted when I copped:
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCJQ/

Oooooohhhh... Let me update my plea; I don't own a potato ricer.

============================

From: Ranee Mueller 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:32:58 -0800
--------
The Ranger wrote:
> Oooooohhhh... Let me update my plea; I don't own a potato ricer.

I got one for Christmas from a friend and I _love_ it.

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:27:06 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>Oooooohhhh... Let me update my plea; I don't own a potato ricer.

Don't you just love it when you find a new kitchen gadget you just
*got* to have.  :-)

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:32:37 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>I don't know what a potato ricer is. 

http://www.cucinadirect.com/go/Product_4473.html

Just thought I would share a few links so you can learn what a ricer
is.

============================

From: Deacon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:44:25 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>I don't know what a potato ricer is.

A ricer looks like a big garlic press and they are a nice treatment to
potatoes, occassionally.  You get a uniform "granularity" to them.

One thing that the ricer is good for in my kitchen is when I have
boiled a large amount of whole potatoes, it is easier to rice then
mash them.  For mashing them I typcally dice the potatoes in uniform
cubes.  

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:58:35 -0800
--------
Miss Jaime
> Okay then...tell us how *YOU* do it

Very easily -- and without any burns, scalds or blisters. I've also never
cut myself using this method. I have shaved a nice chunk off my thumb once
when using a peeler and having the potatoes slick up from the starch.

1) Drain excess water.
2) Reach in with hands, or metal tongs (or even two serving spoons).
2a) Remove one potato.
3) Place into bowl.
4) With a paring knife, peel peel in strips, turning potato as peel peels.
5) Return stripped potato to bowl mixing bowl; restart process until
complete.

Whether Sheldon believes me or not, matters less than a little. Whether
Sheldon believes that I serve hot food cold matters even less. What you
believe... 

============================

From: Samantha 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:13:27 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
> 1) Drain excess water.
> 2) Reach in with hands, or metal tongs (or even two serving spoons).
> 2a) Remove one potato.
> 3) Place into bowl.
> 4) With a paring knife, peel peel in strips, turning potato as peel peels.
> 5) Return stripped potato to bowl mixing bowl; restart process until
> complete.

I'm not in the middle of your bickering.  I would just like you to
answer a question (as I hate peeling potatoes) and that is, how do you
get from point 3 to 4?  I've peeled potatoes after boiling them, and the
peel just about slips off, but they aren't warm enough after that to
properly mash with a ricer.  They have to cool down a bit for me to
handle enough for the peel to slip off.  Even using tongs and a spoon
for the peel, they still have to be rather cool, and then once I get
through all five pounds of spuds, they are all too cool to make a proper
(for me) pot of mashed taters.

Let me know what I am missing here and I'm a convert!

Best regards,

Samantha

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:49:27 -0800
--------
Samantha asked when I wrote:
> > 1) Drain excess water.
> > 2) Reach in with hands, or metal tongs (or even two serving
> > spoons).
> > 2a) Remove one potato.
> > 3) Place into bowl.
> > 4) With a paring knife, peel peel in strips, turning potato as
> > peel peels.
> > 5) Return stripped potato to bowl mixing bowl; restart
> > process until complete.
>
> [..] how do you get from point 3 to 4?  [snip]

You draw the blade (either back or edge, it matters not at all since I use
both indiscriminately) from one end to the next, scraping softly. As you
noted (in the part I've deleted from your message), the peel slips off very
easily. It takes very little time to peel them for me and the heat is still
quite high when I first start mashing and mixing[1]. I use my hands for both
pick-up, spinning, and moving on to the next 'tator. My MIL uses spoons in a
similar manner without ever touching the suckers but I just marvel at her
latent talents.

If handling the newly boiled potatoes is too intense, there are some heavy
rubber (non-toxic) gloves available for food service that work very nicely,
too. They don't remove all the heat but if you stick you fingers into the
middle of something very hot, you at least won't blister your unfortunate
fingers.

[1] I don't mash or smash any potatoes until I have them all peeled, so heat
loss is minimal during the waiting period.

============================

From: Deacon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:24:05 GMT
--------
I use a similar method when I microwave potatoes (boiled they get
peeled first...I find it easier to handle a potato that is raw)...but
if I am cooking just for myself, I will toss a couple of washed
poatoes (peel on) in the microwave and cook them until done (about 8
minutes or so)...grap them with a paper towel or whatever and drop
them on a board, cut in half and the skin literally falls off as you
work it with the edge of a knife.

============================

From: Deacon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:12:36 GMT
--------
Deacon wrote:
>I use a similar method when I microwave potatoes (boiled they get
>peeled first...I find it easier to handle a potato that is raw)...but
>if I am cooking just for myself, I will toss a couple of washed
>poatoes (peel on) in the microwave and cook them until done (about 8
>minutes or so)...grap them with a paper towel or whatever and drop
>them on a board, cut in half and the skin literally falls off as you
>work it with the edge of a knife.

"grap" them?

What the hell is "grap"?

Maybe "grasp" would work there :-)

Big fingers, little keys...

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:29:11 -0800
--------
Deacon added:
> cook them until done (about 8 minutes or so)...grab them
> with a paper towel or whatever and drop them on a board,

I hadn't thought about using a paper towel. That'd strip the skins as quick
as the knife blade, probably quicker. The paper towel'd also provide
temporary insulation against the extreme heat.

Hmmm. I'll just have to give it a try tonight.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:28:36 GMT
--------
Deacon wrote:
> I use a similar method when I microwave potatoes (boiled they get
> peeled first...I find it easier to handle a potato that is raw)...but
> if I am cooking just for myself, I will toss a couple of washed
> poatoes (peel on) in the microwave and cook them until done (about 8
> minutes or so)...grap them with a paper towel or whatever and drop
> them on a board, cut in half and the skin literally falls off as you
> work it with the edge of a knife.

Liars... both lying bastards drowning in potato soup... neither has ever
boiled a potato, never even boiled water, neither liar has a pot to piss in.
Give it up...everyone sees that you're both LIARS.

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:43:33 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> Liars... both lying bastards drowning in potato soup... neither has ever
> boiled a potato, never even boiled water, neither liar has a pot to piss in.
> Give it up...everyone sees that you're both LIARS.

Hey Bud, you are better off saying "it was a lie" rather than calling 
someone a "liar". Why do you post to this nut-hatch newsgroup anyway?

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:12:50 GMT
--------
PepePinhead wrote:

> Hey Bud, you are better off saying "it was a lie" rather than calling
> someone a "liar".

I'm better off doing as I damn well please, you functionally illiterate
douche bag.

>Why do you post to this nut-hatch newsgroup anyway?

I'm the landlord,... yoose wanna be evicted for inadequate IQ, pinhead.

============================

From: The Ranger 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:58:05 -0800
--------
Sheldon wailed infantiley:
[snip of Sheldon-screed not worth reading]

Boy. You told me. Yep.

ObTopic: Yukons aren't worth the effort of peeling.

============================

From: Deacon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:45:45 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
>Liars... both lying bastards drowning in potato soup... neither has ever
>boiled a potato, never even boiled water, neither liar has a pot to piss in.
>Give it up...everyone sees that you're both LIARS.

I want to hear from everyone...

Does everyone here think we are liars?

My goodness, I didn't know Sheldon had taken a poll...please speak
up...

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:27:00 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>[1] I don't mash or smash any potatoes until I have them all peeled, so heat
>loss is minimal during the waiting period.

I'm assuming here that  you boil your potatoes whole.

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:23:47 -0500
--------
The Ranger wrote:
>Whether Sheldon believes me or not, matters less than a little. Whether
>Sheldon believes that I serve hot food cold matters even less. What you
>believe... 

I never claimed that I didn't believe you. I just wondered how you did
it.

I recall doing this YEARS ago but it was back when my oldest son was
small, it was only he and I then (his brother only a lusty twinkle in
his 'yet to be met by me' father's eye at the time) and I only cooked
a small amount of food for us. For the two of us I could get away with
only cooking a couple of potatoes, skinning them hot and mashing them
right on our plates.

Funny how I only remembered this after thinking about it for a while.
Age must be catching up with me.

============================

From: Bill Reynolds 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:12:34 -0500
--------
Miss Jaime wrote:
>Frankly...and I never *imagined* I would say this in my lifetime..but
>I have to agree with Sheldon on this one. It's a right bloody pain in
>the ass to try to peel potatoes that have just come off the boil and
>are so piping hot you cannot even handle them properly.

Where did the phrase "piping hot" come from?

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:20:14 -0500
--------
Bill Reynolds wrote:
>Where did the phrase "piping hot" come from?

Your question made me curious so I went to look it up on the net and
found this.....

PIPING HOT 

From Steve Ellis: "When I looked up the phrase piping hot in a
dictionary, it gave the definition "very hot". When I looked up
piping, I didn't find any such sense. Can you elaborate?" 

The sense of piping that's relevant here is the one for making a
musical sound, as by playing the pipes. The idea is that a dish that's
piping hot is one so hot it makes a sizzling or hissing noise, perhaps
not closely similar to the sound of the pipes, but at least audible.
It's first recorded near the end of the fourteenth century, in
Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. In the Miller's Tale it says (in
modernised spelling): "Wafers piping hot out of the gleed", where a
wafer is a kind of thin cake, baked between wafer-irons, and gleed is
the hot coals of a fire. 

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:35:46 -0500
--------
Miss Jaime wrote:
> Your question made me curious so I went to look it up on the net and
> found this.....
> 
> PIPING HOT 

Funny, I thought it was like this

http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?prmID=2581

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:12:50 GMT
--------
Bill Reynolds wrote:
> Where did the phrase "piping hot" come from?

Probably a term attributed to plumbers, particularly steamfitters, as in hot
as steam exiting a pipe... 'very hot'

Mirriam Webster

piping hot
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
: very hot

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:15:52 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> Probably a term attributed to plumbers, particularly steamfitters, as in hot
> as steam exiting a pipe... 'very hot'
> 
> Mirriam Webster
> 
> piping hot
> Function: adjective
> Date: 14th century
> : very hot

Come on 'Sheldon', Mr. Purple Fuzz....

============================

From: TonyaE2[at]webtv.net (TNT)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:48:28 -0500 (EST)
--------
The Ranger wrote: 
> Not everyone has your tender hands, or severe handicap with lack of
> brains. Stripping the skin off boiled potatoes is easy, painless, and
> quick -- if you know how and use the right tools. 

Siting here remembering days when I worked @ local Greek Coney
Island Every day we had to boil closed to 300 pounds of potatoes
UNPEELED for american fries etc. on weekends it was double that amount
NOT a pleasant task standing in one spot peeling skins for over 2 hrs N
longer Think my hands still have scars from the blisters I got I
normally peel my potatoes @ home before  boil But a top chef told me
once that boiling with skins on then peel afterwards for spuds gives it
a better flavor. I'll be damn if I EVER peel another skin on potatoe
after boiling  

============================

From: sf 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:58:35 -0800
--------
TNT wrote:
> Siting here remembering days when I worked @ local Greek Coney
> Island Every day we had to boil closed to 300 pounds of potatoes
> UNPEELED for american fries etc. on weekends it was double that amount

My first job at 16 was waitressing in a small town cafe.
During the down times EVERYONE worked in the kitchen and we
peeled those suckers before cooking them.

============================

From: terraXXX[at]att.net (Terra)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:22:41 GMT
--------
As the sun sinks slowly in the west, sf wrote:
>My first job at 16 was waitressing in a small town cafe.
>During the down times EVERYONE worked in the kitchen and we
>peeled those suckers before cooking them.

Hmmm, I've peeled both before cooking (mashed, stews, pot roast) 
and after (salads, boiled 'n' browned). If I'm peeling them *after* 
boiling, I wait until they're cool enough to handle, but I'd still
rather do it before -- they don't seem as slimey to me. To each
their own, I guess...

============================

From: harriet 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:40:13 GMT
--------
Niki wrote:
> I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot beef
> stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a sentence with
> a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know. Peel the potatoes
> or not: that's the question....

I never peal the spuds....too much work...cook 'em and mash 'em, is my 
motto.  I prefer to use the thin skinned ones, rather than the russet 
dense type.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:01:51 GMT
--------
harriet wrote:
> I never peal the spuds....

Geeze...

============================

From: spence[at]eai.com (spence)
Date: 20 Jan 2003 15:25:51 -0800
--------
harriet wrote:
> I never peal the spuds....too much work...cook 'em and mash 'em, is my 
> motto.  I prefer to use the thin skinned ones, rather than the russet 
> dense type.

This is the important point. Thin skinned spuds like the small reds
and similar hybrids can be left unpeeler. I wouldn't want a russet
skin in mine...

============================

From: terraXXX[at]att.net (Terra)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:29:20 GMT
--------
As the sun sinks slowly in the west, spence wrote:

>I wouldn't want a russet skin in mine...

The only good russet skin is a baked russet skin...

============================

From: Miss Jaime 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:49:56 -0500
--------
spence wrote:
> I wouldn't want a russet
>skin in mine...

Well washed..they are good fiber.

============================

From: Niki 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:07:26 -0500
--------
harriet wrote:
: I never peal the spuds....too much work...cook 'em and mash 'em, is my
: motto.

I left them skin on. They turned out delicious ! Just what I was craving.
:-)

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:57:50 GMT
--------
Niki  wrote:
> I like the skin on. delicious ! Just what I was craving.
> :-)

Sheesh, darn this circumcision!  :-(
Is Niki Bone your professional name? ;)

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:06:06 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> Sheesh, darn this circumcision!  :-(
> Is Niki Bone your professional name? ;)

Alright Sheldon, you have made your point. Now Shut the Fuck Up!

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:13:29 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> Sheesh, darn this circumcision!  :-(
> Is Niki Bone your professional name? ;)

How about thiS, Sheldon? (.)

Pea brain!

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:36:58 GMT
--------
Pepe wrote:
> How about thiS, Sheldon? (.)
>
> Pea brain!

Wasting your time... you can never be me.

plonk

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:44:19 -0500
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> plonk

Plonk me all you want, Mr 666...

============================

From: Niki 
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:56:35 GMT
--------
Sheldon wrote:
: Sheesh, darn this circumcision!  :-(
: Is Niki Bone your professional name? ;)

No comment (insert your own cut of meat joke here) on the circumsion. :-Đ Nikibone is my nick name.
http://nikibone.com/origin/

============================

From: MH 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:01:25 GMT
--------
harriet wrote:
> I never peal the spuds....too much work...cook 'em and mash 'em, is my
> motto.  I prefer to use the thin skinned ones, rather than the russet
> dense type.

These days I keep the peel in. That's where all the fiber is anyway.

Martha

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:23:35 GMT
--------
MH wrote:
> These days I keep the peel in. That's where all the fiber is anyway.

I think the potato's skin contains the majority of its fiber but not all.

http://www.potatohelp.com/textonly/faq/faq.asp

[excerpt]
Q. Is it safe to eat the potato skin?
A. Absolutely! In fact, we recommend it. The skin of the potato contains the
majority of the potato's fiber, and many of the nutrients are located close
to the skin. Wash the potato thoroughly, cut away green discoloration and/or
sprouts and enjoy your potato with the skin on.

============================

From: Pepe 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:28:51 -0500
--------
Sheldon posted:
> A. Absolutely! In fact, we recommend it. The skin of the potato contains the
> majority of the potato's fiber, and many of the nutrients are located close
> to the skin. Wash the potato thoroughly, cut away green discoloration and/or
> sprouts and enjoy your potato with the skin on.

You stupid knave, Sheldon, there are no vitamins in potatoes, it's only starch. Why do you post?

============================

From: MH 
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:40:45 GMT
--------
Pepe wrote:
> You stupid knave, Sheldon, there are no vitamins in potatoes, it's only starch. Why do you post?

????

There are plenty of vitamins in a potato. Look it up:
http://www.idahopotato.com/Nutrition/index.html

Martha

============================

From: MH 
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:37:41 GMT
--------
Sheldon wrote:
> http://www.potatohelp.com/textonly/faq/faq.asp

Cool site, thanks, Sheldon!

============================

From: Ranee Mueller 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:55:01 -0800
--------
Niki wrote:
> I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot 
> beef stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a 
> sentence with a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya 
> know. Peel the potatoes or not: that's the question....

   Peel.  If they're red, maybe don't peel, but even then it's better 
peeled.  Potato salad, red potatoes, peels on.
   
============================

From: Pat Meadows 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:37:35 GMT
--------
Niki wrote:
>I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot beef
>stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a sentence with
>a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know. Peel the potatoes
>or not: that's the question....

For myself, I didn't peel potatoes for years and years.  
Then I married an Englishman and this horrifies him - we
peel them now.

============================

From: Brian Connors 
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:20:00 GMT
--------
Niki wrote:
> I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot beef
> stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a sentence with
> a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know. Peel the potatoes
> or not: that's the question....

Skin on with two cloves of crushed garlic and some sour cream.

============================

From: Thierry Gerbault 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:03:45 GMT
--------
Niki wrote:
> I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot
> beef stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a
> sentence with a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know.
> Peel the potatoes or not: that's the question....

Well, Niki, IMHO they're both delicious, but I think it really depends on 
personal taste.  Peeled, I called them mashed; unpeeled, I called them 
smashed.  A friend of mine won't eat them unpeeled and says they taste like 
dirt.  Hmmm...  To each his own.

============================

From: Ranee Mueller 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:30:08 -0800
--------
Thierry Gerbault wrote:
>  A friend of mine won't eat them unpeeled and says they taste like 
> dirt.  Hmmm...  To each his own.

   Maybe he should wash them first.

============================

From: Thierry Gerbault 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:33:15 GMT
--------
Ranee Mueller wrote:
>    Maybe he should wash them first.

No, they're well-scrubbed.  I've heard others also say that there's a 
certain "earthiness" to cooked, unpeeled potatoes.

============================

From: Sheldon 
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:52:06 GMT
--------
Ranee Mueller wrote
>    Maybe he should wash them first.

Even scrubbed potatoes are supposed to taste and smell 'earthy', if not
they're lousy/old potatoes... dirty potatoes are gritty.

============================

From: Alan Moorman[at]visi.com
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 07:42:34 -0600
--------
Niki wrote:
>I'm getting ready to make mashed potatoes. I have leftover crockpot beef
>stew that I want to top them with (no comments about ending a sentence with
>a preposition please). It's comfort food season ya know. Peel the potatoes
>or not: that's the question....

Don't peel 'em.  Mash the skins with the potatoes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

They're good 
...and they're good FOR you!

============================

From: Edwin Pawlowski 
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:14:05 GMT
--------
Niki wrote:
>  Peel the potatoes or not: that's the question....

I was brought up in a household that always peeled them.  Then one day I had
them with skins on at a fancy restaurant and thought "why not?"

Now, we look them over and peel away an skin that is bruised or has eyes'
growing etc, but put the rest right in.  They have more nutrition that way
also.

============================

From: Jill McQuown 
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:36:13 -0600
--------
Alan Moorman wrote:
> Don't peel 'em.  Mash the skins with the potatoes.

I leave the skins on because I'm lazy :-)  They taste great.

============================

Subject: Nutrients in Potatoes// Was Re: Mashed Potatoes: skin on or skinless ?
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: TX-cherokee[at]webtv.net (~Rose~)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:43:25 -0600 (CST)
--------
found on this site:

http://www.westernpotatoes.com.au/nutrition/index.cfm

A medium sized potato has:
Protein 3.75g
Fat 0g
Carboyhdrates 13.8g 
Sugars  .5g
Vitamin C  20-30mg 
Folic Acid 
Niacin
Thiamin 
B6
Potassium
Phosphorous 
Magnesium
Calcium
Zinc
Iodine

============================

From: nobody[at]nevermind.com (Frogleg)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:29:30 GMT
--------
~Rose~ wrote:
>A medium sized potato has:
>Protein 3.75g
>Fat 0g
>Carboyhdrates 13.8g 
>Sugars  .5g
>Vitamin C  20-30mg 
>Folic Acid 
>Niacin
>Thiamin 
>B6
>Potassium
>Phosphorous 
>Magnesium
>Calcium
>Zinc
>Iodine

Which is why the Irish potato famine was so catastrophic. The only
missing nutrient is vitamin A, which could be supplied by almost
anything green. The potato, imported from the New World, became a
mono-crop for a minimally adequate poverty diet. 


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]