Return to BigSpud Menu

Subject: Potato patties
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: jo1101898[at]aol.com (Jo1101898)
Date: 17 Nov 2000 00:03:28 GMT
--------
I found an old Heloise recipe for potato patties. It called for a cup of mashed
potatoes, 2 eggs, 1/2C flour , 2 Tablespoons of baking powder.
I couldn't bring myself to use so much flour and baking powder so I decreased
to 1/4c flour and 2 tsps baking powder. My husband liked them but I still think
there was too much flour in them. In the past I've always just formed patties
from the mashed potatoes with no added ingredients. I think the egg enhanced
them so I was wondering if anyone
dresses up their leftover mashed potatoes but just not quite as much as the
Heloise recipe?JO

============================

From: Karen Anderson O'Mara <karen[at]randomgraphics.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 00:15:30 GMT
--------
Jo1101898 wrote:
> I found an old Heloise recipe for potato patties. It called for a cup of mashed
> potatoes, 2 eggs, 1/2C flour , 2 Tablespoons of baking powder.

I just make potato patties out of leftover mashed potatoes and nothing else, and
just brown them in a pan. I don't add anything. Cripsy on the outside, mashed
potatoes on the inside...

============================

From: Gargoylle <gargoylle[at]postmaster.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:40:31 -0600
--------
Karen Anderson O'Mara wrote:
>I just make potato patties out of leftover mashed potatoes and nothing else, and
>just brown them in a pan. I don't add anything. Cripsy on the outside, mashed
>potatoes on the inside...

Sounds like my mothers recipe <g>. I love potatoes, but I never liked
them. She called them potato pancakes. She always served them with a
big spoonful of home made applesauce. I've not had them since I was a
kid, so I might like them now. But it was a good thing the dog liked
them. LOL

Gar

============================

From: bocilla[at]webtv.net (Norma)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:15:31 -0500 (EST)
--------
I just add an egg or 2 to leftover mashed potatoes and form into
patties. Fry in butter.

============================

From: Jill McQuown <jmcquown[at]bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:15:46 -0600
--------
Jo1101898 wrote:
> I found an old Heloise recipe for potato patties. It called for a cup of mashed

I generally do this if I have at least 2 cups of mashed potatoes left, and
usually a bit more; 1 cup seems a bit scant for making potato patties.
Sometimes I mash potatoes just to make patties! :-)  I add a large (not room
temp) egg to 2+ cups chilled mashed potatoes.  Sometimes I stir in some
minced garlic and finely chopped parsley, sometimes I don't.  Form the
(still cold) potato mixture into patties and dust them lightly with flour.
Skip the baking powder; AFAIK potato patties aren't supposed to rise so I'm
not sure I see Heloise's point there.  Anyway, brown the patties in a little
oil in a hot skillet until they are nicely golden on both sides and turn
easily with a spatula.   Quite tasty!

============================

From: ginnysher[at]mediaone.net (Ginny Sher)
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:23:51 GMT
--------
My French Canadian mother (not sure that is relevent :-) used to make
potato pancakes by boiling and then mashing potatoes with a fair
amount of flour (I'm guessing 1 cup to 8-9 potatoes), S&P.  She then
cooked them on a pancake griddle until nicely browned, removed and
slathered with butter.  That was our Friday night meatless dinner.
Maybe it is just a comfort food for me, but my mouth waters thinking
about it.

============================

From: Charlie <saiga[at]concentric.net>
Date: 17 Nov 2000 10:05:39 GMT
--------
Jill McQuown wrote:
> Anyway, brown the patties in a little
> oil in a hot skillet until they are nicely golden on both sides and turn
> easily with a spatula.   Quite tasty!

I agree with Jill on this one. Fried mashed potatoes are a
personal favorite of mine and I make them almost exactly as
Jill outlined above. However I do not add parsley or garlic. I
have been known to add chopped green onions though. I
sometimes use bacon fat to cook them and I like them cooked a
little past golden - I figure they are right when they have a
bit of charring on the edges. :-) I like these with poached
eggs. These, minus the eggs, were my most usual breakfast when
I was a child.

============================

From: Young <qwerty[at]mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:26:52 -0500
--------
Jill McQuown wrote:
> I generally do this if I have at least 2 cups of mashed potatoes left,

Now, that's a foreign concept ... leftover mashed potatoes.  Whoever
heard of such a thing?

nancy

============================

From: Jill McQuown <jmcquown[at]bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:47:20 -0600
--------
Young wrote:
> Jill McQuown wrote:
> > I generally do this if I have at least 2 cups of mashed potatoes left,
>
> Now, that's a foreign concept ... leftover mashed potatoes.  Whoever
> heard of such a thing?

It's hard to cook mashed potatoes for one, unless of course I'm reading the
back of a Hungry Jack box :-)  But I relish the leftovers for this very
reason!

============================

From: Darkginger <darkginger[at]iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:27:55 GMT
--------
Jill McQuown wrote
> It's hard to cook mashed potatoes for one, unless of course I'm reading the
> back of a Hungry Jack box :-)  But I relish the leftovers for this very
> reason!

I deliberately make too much mashed potato, just so I can have bubble 'n
squeak the next day! Marvellous stuff. (For those who don't know: Mashed
potato, mixed with leftover green veggies - preferably brussels sprouts, and
fried. The name comes from the noise it makes whilst cooking - great with
bacon and eggs!)

Jo

============================

From: Karen Anderson O'Mara <karen[at]randomgraphics.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:38:37 GMT
--------
Darkginger wrote:
> I deliberately make too much mashed potato, just so I can have bubble 'n
> squeak the next day! Marvellous stuff. (For those who don't know: Mashed
> potato, mixed with leftover green veggies - preferably brussels sprouts, and
> fried. The name comes from the noise it makes whilst cooking - great with
> bacon and eggs!)

Yum... sounds good. What about the combination makes noise when cooking, I
wonder?

Do you cut up small the Brussels sprouts or green vegges, btw?

Add anything else?

============================

From: bbr1[at]ritz.cec.wustl.edu (Brian B. Rodenborn)
Date: 17 Nov 2000 12:51:45 -0600
--------
Karen Anderson O'Mara wrote:
[ bubble and squeak ]

>> The name comes from the noise it makes whilst cooking - great with
>> bacon and eggs!)
>
>Yum... sounds good. What about the combination makes noise when cooking, I
>wonder?

Then it makes more noise a couple of hourse later.

============================

From: Gargoylle <gargoylle[at]postmaster.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:57:05 -0600
--------
Darkginger wrote:
>I deliberately make too much mashed potato, just so I can have bubble 'n
>squeak the next day! Marvellous stuff. (For those who don't know: Mashed
>potato, mixed with leftover green veggies - preferably brussels sprouts, and
>fried. The name comes from the noise it makes whilst cooking - great with
>bacon and eggs!)

Now that sounds better than the stuff I grew up with. I'll try that. 

gar 

============================

From: Jill McQuown <jmcquown[at]bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:40:52 -0600
--------
Darkginger wrote:
> I deliberately make too much mashed potato, just so I can have bubble 'n
> squeak the next day! Marvellous stuff. (For those who don't know: Mashed
> potato, mixed with leftover green veggies - preferably brussels sprouts, and
> fried. The name comes from the noise it makes whilst cooking - great with
> bacon and eggs!)

Isn't bubble &amp; squeak traditionally made with cabbage?

============================

From: Martha Hughes <bastzine[at]worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:19:39 GMT
--------
limey wrote:
>

Limey, you're confusing me. Isn't your date setting just a couple of days
off?

============================

From: limey <limey[at]giveitup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:51:55 -0500
--------
Martha Hughes wrote:
> limey wrote:
> Limey, you're confusing me. Isn't your date setting just a couple f days
> off?

Hi, Martha.  I've checked my date and time on my computer - the time
is correct and my date shows November 21.  Beats me!!
Have a good turkey day -
limey

============================

From: Martha Hughes <bastzine[at]worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:00:28 GMT
--------
limey wrote:
> Hi, Martha.  I've checked my date and time on my computer - the time
> is correct and my date shows November 21.  Beats me!!
> Have a good turkey day -

It seems to be cool now. How wierd. You have great thanksgiving as well!!!

============================

From: Young <qwerty[at]mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:16:50 -0500
--------
Martha Hughes wrote:
> limey wrote:
> > Hi, Martha.  I've checked my date and time on my computer - the time
> > is correct and my date shows November 21.  Beats me!!
> >
> It seems to be cool now. How wierd. You have great thanksgiving as well!!!

Sounds like my vcr ... it sets the time itself, I don't really know
where it gets it, but obviously from someplace on the west coast ...
every now and again, it decides it's 3 hours earlier.  This is 
especially amusing when I wind up recording Teletubbies (England's
revenge?) instead of what I wanted to see. 

nancy

============================

From: Harry A. Demidavicius <harryd[at]telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:52:31 GMT
--------
Young wrote
>Sounds like my vcr ... it sets the time itself, I don't really know
>where it gets it, but obviously from someplace on the west coast ...
>every now and again, it decides it's 3 hours earlier.

I own his evil twin.  Set it to record "X" and it may, or not,
sometimes .....

============================

From: limey <limey[at]giveitup.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:40:49 -0500
--------
Young wrote
>Sounds like my vcr ... it sets the time itself, I don't really know
>where it gets it, but obviously from someplace on the west coast ...
>every now and again, it decides it's 3 hours earlier.

Something like my husband's computer.  It secretly connects itself
to the Internet, especially in the middle of the night.  Go figure.

============================

From: Harry A. Demidavicius <harryd[at]telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:00:29 GMT
--------
limey wrote:
>Something like my husband's computer.  It secretly connects itself
>to the Internet, especially in the middle of the night.  Go figure.

Errm .... Ecktueleh - I think that's a "Feature" built into the
recent Explorer software.  It sneaks out at night to Microsoft's
site and pulls down updates and stuff.  You can disable that
feature.

============================

From: limey <limey[at]giveitup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 08:48:10 -0500
--------
> Errm .... Ecktueleh - I think that's a "Feature" built into the
> recent Explorer software.  It sneaks out at night to Microsoft's
> site and pulls down updates and stuff.  You can disable that
> feature.
> Harry

By golly, you're right - I forgot.  I think my husband has some of
his jobs set for some ungodly time, like between 12 midnight and 3
a.m., among others.  That had completely slipped my mind.  Thanks,
Harry.
- limey

============================

From: Harry A. Demidavicius <harryd[at]telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:01:40 GMT
--------
>By golly, you're right - I forgot.  I think my husband has some of
>his jobs set for some ungodly time, like between 12 midnight and 3
>a.m., among others.  That had completely slipped my mind.  Thanks,
>Harry.
>- limey

Our Off site backups get going at 2:00AM daily.  But the
computers have to be "sentient" for this to happen.  We [operate
a home office], keep our machines on 7x24, but reboot several
times daily.

Harry

============================

From: "limey" <limey[at]giveitup.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:55:06 -0500
--------
> Our Off site backups get going at 2:00AM daily.  But the
> computers have to be "sentient" for this to happen.  We [operate
> a home office], keep our machines on 7x24, but reboot several
> times daily.
> Harry

Harry, I'm certainly no computer expert.  I can grasp that the
computer connects itself to the Internet to update info but
shouldn't it disconnect itself once finished?  DH's stays connected
until we notice.  Or is there another setting that's being missed?
- limey

============================

From: Harry A. Demidavicius <harryd[at]telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 04:14:02 GMT
--------
>Harry, I'm certainly no computer expert.  I can grasp that the
>computer connects itself to the Internet to update info but
>shouldn't it disconnect itself once finished?  DH's stays connected
>until we notice.  Or is there another setting that's being missed?
>- limey

Oops!  I believe the Roman Catholic Church has people available
who know the proper procedure for this problem.
Harry

============================

From: limey <limey[at]giveitup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:05:09 -0500
--------
> Oops!  I believe the Roman Catholic Church has people available
> who know the proper procedure for this problem.
> Harry

Well, I'll need special dispensation for that one, I think!
In the meantime, Husband disconnected from the Internet, the
computer promptly reconnected, I disconnected it and it promptly
reconnected again.
Something's amiss - gremlins in the garret.

============================

From: Jeanine H. <jlhemt[at]yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:42:39 GMT
--------
>> Now, that's a foreign concept ... leftover mashed potatoes.  Whoever
>> heard of such a thing?
>> nancy

I'm with Nancy -leftover mashed potatoes rarely happen in this house!
But when it is just me or just me and my gf, I use the old one med or
large baking potato per person,  I bake them in my convection oven,
scoop out the insides and add milk/butter/whatever the heck I feel
like. Usually works out to 2 good sized servings and enough for the
dog to get a small taste. (small dog, small taste!)

============================

From: lindamagee1[at]cs.com (LINDA MAGEE1)
Date: 17 Nov 2000 06:29:34 GMT
--------
Jo1101898 writes:
> found an old Heloise recipe for potato patties. It called for a cup of mashed

Just made some tonight...yummy, especially with sour cream on the side. Had
about 2 cups of leftover mashed 'taters, added about 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 small
onion (diced), about 1 cup of leftover corn (minus most of the juice--use a
little) and an egg. It was about the consistency of thick pancake batter. I
thought they would fall apart in the oil,. but they didn't. Got the oil good
and hot and used about a heaping tablespoon of the batter to the skillet and
cooked until the edges were golden brown, flipped and browned the other side.
Not exactly potato patties, but talk about GOOD! I think I ate 5 of 'em WITH
sour cream.  %:}'

============================

From: Myra <myra.jones[at]avinews.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:32:47 GMT
--------
Jo, try my potatoe croquettes.

Boil four meduim size potatoes in their skins. When cooked, peel and mash
them  very finely or put them through a food mill. add four tablespoons of
parmesan cheese, the grated rind of a lemon and a good grating of nutmeg,
add salt and white papper. Mix thoroughly and then form croquettes (thick
sausage shape about 3 to 4 inches long). Roll them in flour (shaking off the
excess), then dip them in a beaten egg, finally, roll them in PLAIN
breadcrumbs. Deep fry in olive oil until golden and dry on paper towels.

Enjoy!

Myra
from Rome

============================

From: Carmen Bartels <caba[at]squirrel.han.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:48:55 GMT
--------
Jo1101898 wrote:
> I found an old Heloise recipe for potato patties. It called for a cup of mashed
> potatoes, 2 eggs, 1/2C flour , 2 Tablespoons of baking powder.

We do it with raw grated potatoes.

Here is the recipe (from a german website) plus my comments

1500 g (3.3 pound)      potatoes
                        salt
1-2                     eggs
2 tbl                   flour

Wash and peel the poatoes, grind them finely and remove some (excess)
water and mix at once with the remaining ingredients. Heat fat in a
pan, put a tablespoon full of the mix into the pan and even out. Fry
until brown on both sides. Serve with sauerkraut, red cabbage, apple
sauce or cranberries.

Now my comments:
a) I prefer 2-3 finely chopped onions with the potatoes
b) they did not mention if starchy or hard potatoes are needed I would
   use hard ones (same as you use for baking potatoes)
c) the Puffer should be about 4 inch diameter and 1-2 mm (1/25-2/25
   inch) thick

As I said before I prefer to serve them with something sweet like
applesauce.

I also got them served in a bohemian restaurant where they where about
5 mm (1/5 in) thick and filled with gulasch or somewhere else as a
appetizer with sour cream (both very yummy but the sour cream was way
to fatty)

Ciao
Carmen


Return to BigSpud Menu