[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Req: Potato Salad w/raisins
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: dollyh[at]aol.com (DollyH)
Date: 03 Sep 2001 13:21:06 GMT
--------
Well, my first thought was retch, too. But, sister's SO recalls this from his
German/Polish childhood in the 1940's (with fondness?) and is looking for the
recipe. It was a Christmas time treat. Was this something his mom invented?
Google was no help using "Potato salad raisins". Thanks for any helpful ideas.

============================

From: moosmeat[at]qwest.net (moosmeat)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:20:25 GMT
--------
I don't even want to read about this,,retch!

============================

From: Jean B. 
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:24:57 -0400
--------
moosmeat wrote:
> I don't even want to read about this,,retch!

I am not the least bit tempted to try this, but...:

http://www.wbkp.com/smells04.html

============================

From: J. Helman 
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:56:27 -0400
--------
Jean B. wrote:
> http://www.wbkp.com/smells04.html

I notice that the TV station that posted this recipe is in Upper
Michigan.  Was the sister's SO also from this area?  Or from a nearby
state (Wisconsin, perhaps)?  In other words, could this be a
local/regional recipe instead of an authentic German or Polish recipe?

============================

From: dollyh[at]aol.com (DollyH)
Date: 04 Sep 2001 23:07:10 GMT
--------
J Helman wrote:
> I notice that the TV station that posted this recipe is in Upper
> Michigan.  Was the sister's SO also from this area?  Or from a nearby
> state (Wisconsin, perhaps)?  In other words, could this be a
> local/regional recipe instead of an authentic German or Polish recipe?

No, I don't think so. He is from Poland & Germany, has only been here a few
years.
His family was never in the US.

============================

From: J. Helman 
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:27:42 -0400
--------
DollyH wrote:
> No, I don't think so. He is from Poland & Germany, has only been here a few
> years.
> His family was never in the US.

Thanks...that helps me put this recipe in the proper recipe file.

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 4 Sep 2001 15:33:47 GMT
--------
DollyH wrote:
> Well, my first thought was retch, too. But, sister's SO recalls this from his
> German/Polish childhood in the 1940's (with fondness?) and is looking for the
> recipe. It was a Christmas time treat. Was this something his mom invented?
> Google was no help using "Potato salad raisins". Thanks for any helpful ideas.

I have never heard of that combination, but why not just toss some raisins
into your favorite potato salad recipe to see how it turns out?

============================

Subject: Re: Potato Salad w/raisins
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Dimitri 
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:17:43 GMT
--------
DollyH wrote:
> Well, my first thought was retch, too. But, sister's SO recalls this from his
> German/Polish childhood in the 1940's (with fondness?) and is looking for the
> recipe. It was a Christmas time treat. Was this something his mom invented?
> Google was no help using "Potato salad raisins". Thanks for any helpful ideas.

Was this a hot or cold dish???

============================

From: dollyh[at]aol.com (DollyH)
Date: 04 Sep 2001 23:09:15 GMT
--------
Dimitri replied:
>Was this a hot or cold dish???

I will have to ask about hot or cold. Thanks

============================

From: Dimitri 
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 00:17:29 GMT
--------
I have several recipes for cold *sweet potato salads* which use raisins
however it is not uncommon for "German potato salads" which are served hot
to have sliced or diced apple to add some sweetness.   I was wondering what
your sister's SO remembers about the dish.  I suspect it was just a hot
*German* salad with some raisins added.


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]