[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Potato Soup
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 12:59:54 GMT
--------
I'm still in the Irish mode.  I'll be making Potato Soup for lunch and 
working in the gardens.  Providing the temps are moderate. I don't have a 
recipe for the soup; I just make it on the fly.  I use home made stock with 
a milk base.  It's got about 6 or 7 potatoes peeled and diced, a couple of 
onions, butter and parsley.  That's it. 

============================

From: Dee Randall 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:26:20 -0500
--------
That's all you need. Sounds great.
However -- tee hee -- for ease you could add a teensy bit of celery seed --  
have you ever done that to homemade potato soup?

============================

From: "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:29:25 GMT
--------
Dee Randall hitched up their panties and posted:
> That's all you need. Sounds great.
> However -- tee hee -- for ease you could add a teensy bit of celery
> seed --  have you ever done that to homemade potato soup?

No I have not. I'll try it today. Celery seed huh?  I've celery stalks and 
celery seed.  I'll try the seed first.  The potatoes are just now boiling.

============================

From: Dee Randall 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:47:28 -0500
--------
"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote:
> No I have not. I'll try it today. Celery seed huh?  I've celery stalks and
> celery seed.  I'll try the seed first.  The potatoes are just now boiling.

Go easy on the seed.
Usually I add a celery stalk if I have one; if not, I will put some seed in. 
But either is good; seed is easier.
Penzy's carries dried celery, but the price is exhorbitant!

============================

From: "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:52:09 GMT
--------
Dee Randall hitched up their panties and posted:
> Go easy on the seed.
> Usually I add a celery stalk if I have one; if not, I will put some seed in. 
> But either is good; seed is easier.
> Penzy's carries dried celery, but the price is exhorbitant!

But I love Penzy's.  Gawd, some of their blends are wonderful.

============================

From: PickyJaz 
Date: 18 Mar 2006 08:23:40 -0800
--------
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I'm still in the Irish mode.  I'll be making Potato Soup for lunch and
> working in the gardens. 

I made potato soup for the first time a month or so ago, and it was
USMC voted as one of my best.  Just luck, I say, as I found the simple
recipe online to tempt me for using up the too many little red rose
potatoes hanging out countertop the night before my usual Farmers
Market trip one Saturday.
As to the Penzeys' seasoning blends, hah!  Penzeys shopping caused me
to "redecorate" my tiny kitchen's one bare wall with a tri-level custom
built spice rack to hold two rows of the usual size bottles and one
shorter row along the top for those small ones.  At my rate of use I
now wish I'd had the rack built with several short rows and just one
larger one, as I'm most often cooking for only myself.

============================

From: "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:55:56 GMT
--------
PickyJaz hitched up their panties and posted:
> As to the Penzeys' seasoning blends, hah!  Penzeys shopping caused me
> to "redecorate" my tiny kitchen's one bare wall with a tri-level
> custom built spice rack to hold two rows of the usual size bottles and
> one shorter row along the top for those small ones.  At my rate of use
> I now wish I'd had the rack built with several short rows and just one
> larger one, as I'm most often cooking for only myself.

ROFL... Penzeys will do that to you ;) The store is only a few miles from 
me.  I hate the parking so I shop online. 

Potato soup is easy enough.  I think the best (besides the seasonings) is 
the stock I use.  It is fresh and very good.  I'm about to have a bowl of 
Potato Soup.  Care to join me? Bring some bread. I'm out of it and too lazy 
to go get some.

============================

From: Bob (this one) 
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:02:08 -0500
--------
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I use home made stock with 
> a milk base.  It's got about 6 or 7 potatoes peeled and diced, a couple of 
> onions, butter and parsley.  That's it. 

Michael, here's how we made potato soup in my last restaurant; a 
two-stage cook. Much larger quantities, though. The proportions are 
variable depending on your taste.

6 (or more) large spuds
1 cup stock (we used chicken)
1 cup cream
your fave seasonings

peel and dice the potatoes. Put 1/2 of them into the pot with the 
liquids and simmer until they are almost completely broken down. Blend 
or whisk them to a liquid. Put the rest of the potatoes in and simmer 
until tender. Thick, rich, creamy. Potato matrix with potato chunks.

We used to put chopped bacon and chopped onion or leeks in ours.

Pastorio


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]