[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: is it true that irish have 32 recipes for potatoes?
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.irish

============================

From: terminalocity[at]hotmail.com (ville terminale)
Date: 14 Feb 2004 10:45:36 -0800
--------
do they have potato ice cream and potato steak?

============================

From: hmhawktoo 
Date: 14 Feb 2004 19:25:35 GMT
--------
> do they have potato ice cream and potato steak?

Yeah but the potato ice cream tastes like shit! I blame modern 
fertilisers.

============================

From: meghildreth[at]comcast.net (Tashi_Aunt)
Date: 14 Feb 2004 14:46:33 -0800
--------
> do they have potato ice cream and potato steak?

Steak? Are you kidding? Most Irish are poor and potatoes are a staple.
They can't afford steak except once in awhile. They have many more
ways of using potatoes than just 32. As many ways of cooking potatoes
as there are cooks in Ireland.

============================

From: Nancy Young 
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:59:54 -0500
--------
Tashi_Aunt wrote:
> Steak? Are you kidding? Most Irish are poor and potatoes are a staple.
> They can't afford steak except once in awhile.

Not steak.  Potato Steak.

============================

From: Kenneth 
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:40:27 -0500
--------
Tashi_Aunt wrote:

>Most Irish are poor and potatoes are a staple

Interesting perspective.

You might want to check:

http://www.moneymattersinstitute.org/html/september_2002__index.html

HTH,

Kenneth

============================

From: Mike Beede 
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:08:09 -0600
--------
Kenneth wrote:
> http://www.moneymattersinstitute.org/html/september_2002__index.html

Interesting . . . some columns of numbers.  Do they mean something?
I'm suspicious that the name column is labeled with "developed countries"
but I don't see the U.S.A., France, or Canada in the list.  

============================

From: Kenneth 
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:31:25 -0500
--------
Mike Beede wrote:
>Interesting . . . some columns of numbers.  Do they mean something?
>I'm suspicious that the name column is labeled with "developed countries"
>but I don't see the U.S.A., France, or Canada in the list.  

Hi Mike,

I'll explain it to you...

The comment that "Most Irish are poor..." is absurd.

The first URL I happened to find with such economic comparisons ranked
Ireland first. I thought that funny.

All the best,

Kenneth

============================

From: Mike Beede 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:40:05 -0600
--------
Kenneth wrote:
> The comment that "Most Irish are poor..." is absurd.
> 
> The first URL I happened to find with such economic comparisons ranked
> Ireland first. I thought that funny.

I understood your point, but that site didn't give me *any* information.  
Ireland has 1993 "somethings."  Beetles per square mile?  Pounds of
hog fat per capita?  Top speed of fighter aircraft?  A chart without a
legend is inherently ridiculous, and a chart that claims to rank "developed
countries" without including the US or Canada is suspect in the
extreme.  I have no idea about the economy of Ireland, and I know nothing
more about it after looking at that page.

I also agree that the idea that people in Ireland can only afford to eat
potatoes is ludicrous. 

============================

From: elana[at]zen.org (Elana Kehoe)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 08:49:28 +0000
--------
Tashi_Aunt wrote:

> Steak? Are you kidding? Most Irish are poor and potatoes are a staple.

Huh.  I'll be sure to tell that to the neighbors.  And to the beggars
who come to our door (mostly Romanian) looking for money.

> They can't afford steak except once in awhile. They have many more
> ways of using potatoes than just 32. As many ways of cooking potatoes
> as there are cooks in Ireland.

Obviously never been to Ireland, then.

============================

From: kilikini 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:34:37 GMT
--------
Elana Kehoe wrote:
> Huh.  I'll be sure to tell that to the neighbors.  And to the beggars
> who come to our door (mostly Romanian) looking for money.

Jeez, I can pretty much only afford to eat potatoes and pasta and I live in
the U.S.!!!!!

============================

From: Frogleg 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:39:52 GMT
--------
ville terminale wrote
> do they have potato ice cream and potato steak?

Troll!

============================

From: terminalocity[at]hotmail.com (ville terminale)
Date: 14 Feb 2004 15:59:08 -0800
--------
hmhawktoo wrote:
> Yeah but the potato ice cream tastes like shit! I blame modern 
> fertilisers.

does it come in chocolate?

============================

From: OldWiseMan 
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:03:14 -0000
--------
ville terminale wrote
> do they have potato ice cream and potato steak?

Kerryman's mixed grill:

boiled potatoes, fried potatotoes, sauté paotatoes and chips

:)

============================

From: max.it[at]tea.time (max.it)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:28:19 +0000 (UTC)
--------
Gummo  wrote:
>Me Granny called them 'purdies'.

Purdins

============================

From: "Oh\"Really" 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:20:10 -0600
--------
Gummo  wrote:
>Me Granny called them 'purdies'.

I call that being broke.

============================

From: penmart01[at]aol.como (Sheldon)
Date: 15 Feb 2004 14:38:54 GMT
--------
>"Oh\"Really" 
>
>"max.it" wrote:
>> "Gummo" writes:
>>
>> >Me Granny called them 'purdies'.
>> >
>> >Gummo
>>
>I call that being broke.
>
>Oh'Really

Shouldn't that be Oh'Reilly?

============================

From: "Oh\"Really" 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:09:26 -0600
--------
Gummo wrote:
> Call what being broke?

Dunno, I wrote that last night.  My grandmother used to make rolls out of
left over mashed potatoes.  They were heavenly. She used to bake bread with
a pair of  underpants on her head to keep hair out of the dough,  so I got a
big kick out of seeing  a woman wearing underwear on her head in  a scene
during that movie called "Everlasting Piece". My greatgrandmother baked
bread right up to two weeks before her death at 90. Meal time and all its
associated rituals was one of the glues that kept families together. Pity
that so many people are  too busy nowdays to break bread together.

============================

From: lynngiff[at]i29.net (Lynn Gifford)
Date: 14 Feb 2004 22:21:05 -0800
--------
Hell!  *I*  have thirty two recepies for potatoes!
Irish recepies just start: "Take 32 potatoes . . ."
;-)
Lynn in Fargo
Loving the Irish AND potatoes

============================

From: Darkginger 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:54:41 -0000
--------
Lynn Gifford wrote
> Hell!  *I*  have thirty two recepies for potatoes!
> Irish recepies just start: "Take 32 potatoes . . ."
> ;-)
> Lynn in Fargo
> Loving the Irish AND potatoes

I believe the original poster was a troll. Surely no-one can really be that
ignorant?

Jo

============================

From: penmart01[at]aol.como (Sheldon)
Date: 14 Feb 2004 20:38:00 GMT
--------
Yes, and all 32 Mick recipes begin; "First steal some potatoes..." 

Ahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . 

============================

From: O'Kiwi 
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:07:44 +1300
--------
OldWiseMan wrote:
>Kerryman's mixed grill:
>boiled potatoes, fried potatotoes, sauté paotatoes and chips

You missed out the gravy...

Nik

============================

From: micheal[at]shaw.ca (m@cheal méféin)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:10:00 GMT
--------
O'Kiwi wrote:
>You missed out the gravy...

Why make gravy when there's delicious ketchup for free in little
packets from MacDonalds? Sure, a new-married couple could furnish a
table with what they give you.

============================

From: O'Kiwi 
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:56:27 +1300
--------
m@cheal méféin wrote:
>Why make gravy when there's delicious ketchup for free in little
>packets from MacDonalds? 

We were talking about traditional Irish food. MacDonalds has some way
to go before it is traditional Irish food...myself I don't think it
will ever get there.

Nik

============================

From: Darryl L. Pierce 
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:29:32 GMT
--------
ville terminale wrote:
> do they have potato ice cream and potato steak?

Of course. Every Irish person naturally and instinctively eats potatoes with
every meal. They're genetically predisposed to live up to that stereotype..

Amadan...


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]