[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: Potato oxidization
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: erica[at]technodyke.com (Erica)
Date: 24 Dec 2003 11:59:56 -0800
--------
Hi,

Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold
water before they start to oxidize? Thanks!

--Erica

============================

From: Dimiri 
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:04:08 GMT
--------
Several hours if that are rinsed of the surface starch and then kept in
lightly acidulated water.

============================

From: Siobhan Perricone 
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:56:00 -0500
--------
Dimiri wrote:
>Several hours if that are rinsed of the surface starch and then kept in
>lightly acidulated water.

By which Dimitri means to toss in a bit of lemon juice or some such. :)

============================

From: jim.mckelvey[at]sympatico.ca (Biff)
Date: 24 Dec 2003 15:45:36 -0800
--------
Erica wrote:
> Does anyone here know how long you can keep shredded potatoes in cold
> water before they start to oxidize? Thanks!

About 20 minutes if the water is salted, then they turn grayish but
are still good for latkes.

============================

From: Wayne Boatwright 
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:51:58 GMT
--------
Biff wrote:
> About 20 minutes if the water is salted, then they turn grayish but
> are still good for latkes.

If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.

============================

From: June Oshiro 
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:21:06 -0500
--------
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> If you add some fresh lemon juice, the keeping time is greatly extended.

...because polyphenol oxidase is inhibited at low pH.

============================

From: Wayne Boatwright 
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 03:51:46 GMT
--------
June Oshiro wrote:
> ...because polyphenol oxidase is inhibited at low pH.

June, you know much more about the chemical action than I do.  I just know 
it works.    My mom and grandmother always did it...potatoes, turnips, 
apples, peaches, etc.  If I don't have a lemon on hand, I use Fruit-Fresh®, 
even on the vegetables.


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]