[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]

Subject: grilled potatoes
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Mia 
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:44:48 +0200
--------
What's the best way to grill potatoes? I thought I'd boil them whole for
about 10 minutes, then cut them in half, brush with olive oil and put
white-side down toward the heat. A lot of the recipes I read put the
potatoes into silver foil so I'm not sure how good my idea is.

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 13 Jun 2002 17:31:59 GMT
--------
Your idea should work if the potatoes do not fall through the slots on
your grill. If you have time, try grilling a potato with your method 
to see how it turns out. You might want to invest a few dollars in
a grill basket to make it easier to grill cut up potatoes and small
vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, and so on.

============================

From: Mia 
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:41:46 +0200
--------
stan@temple wrote:
>  You might want to invest a few dollars in
> a grill basket to make it easier to grill cut up potatoes and small
> vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, and so on.

I've never heard of a grill basket but it sounds like it would be a useful
tool for me.
Are they pretty common?

============================

From: stan[at]temple.edu
Date: 13 Jun 2002 19:01:50 GMT
--------
Mia wrote:
> I've never heard of a grill basket but it sounds like it would be a useful
> tool for me.
> Are they pretty common?

Any decent lawn & garden store that sells barbecue equipment should
also have barbecue baskets in stock. If you don't see what you're
looking for, just ask a store employee.

============================

From: Nancy Young 
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:07:05 -0400
--------
Mia wrote:
> I've never heard of a grill basket but it sounds like it would be a useful
> tool for me.
> Are they pretty common?

Sure, Mia ... they are metal things with holes in them so the food
is cooked but doesn't fall through.  I don't know where you live,
so I don't know what the availability is, but in the states, any
hardware store or even Linen's and Things type of place will have
them.

============================

From: Kendall F. Stratton III 
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:41:50 -0400
--------
My favorite way to grill 'taters is to grab the big ones from the
root-cellar and slice them kinda thick (skins on), rubbed with chopped
garlic, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with S&P, and layed them on the
grill (flipping 'em often) 'til golden-brown.   Mmmm!!! Served with grilled
portabella mushrooms, thick-sliced/grilled onions,  sliced/grilled zucchini
and/or sliced/grilled eggplant that have been marinated in a little bit of
sesame oil and soy sauce w/ chopped garlic.   Mmmmm!!!   I just love that
"earthy"-Asian taste when grilling veggies.

============================

From: Mia 
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:43:32 +0200
--------
K3 wrote:
> My favorite way to grill 'taters is to grab the big ones from the
> root-cellar and slice them kinda thick (skins on), rubbed with chopped
> garlic, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with S&P, and layed them on the
> grill (flipping 'em often) 'til golden-brown. 

That sounds incredible, I will definitely try that.  By the way, I tossed
the parboiled potatoes with a bit of melted butter, salt and pepper, and
chopped fresh rosemary.  Put them on the grill and though they stuck a
little, they had an excellent flavor....

============================

From: cobbscove[at]webtv.net (Evelyn Chester)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:51:30 -0400 (EDT)
--------
If you don't want to spend time at the grill,
watching the potatoes, just chop them, some
onion, garlic, toss with olive oil, herbs of
choice, salt & pepper, wrap in foil, put on grill,
takes about 30 mins.
Very tasty

============================

From: Snot 
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:00:38 -0500
--------
Mia wrote:
>What's the best way to grill potatoes? I thought I'd boil them whole for
>about 10 minutes, then cut them in half, brush with olive oil and put
>white-side down toward the heat. A lot of the recipes I read put the
>potatoes into silver foil so I'm not sure how good my idea is.

Here's a recipe I added a few extra spices to but it's a good start.  

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/side/potatoes/grilled.html

I used the grill pan others were speaking of.  I'll be doing them
again this way.


[Previous Thread] [Return to BigSpud: The Potato Recipe Collection Menu][Next Thread]