Return to BigSpud Menu

Subject: Hash browns
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: Who am I <nomore[at]nomorespam.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 02:58:52 GMT
--------
I like shredded hash browns for breakfast a couple times a week.  I have
not found a frozen hash brown I like. I understand that to make hash
browns from real potatoes, one should boil and cool them.  Then put them
in refrigerator till needed. 

Does this sound correct?  What does the boiling do and what is the best
potato to boil for shredded hash browns. Tonight, I boiled some russets
and will try them tomorrow. I boiled small ones about 20 minutes and
larger ones about 25-28 minutes, until a fork would go in easily. Does
this sound correct?

TIA,

============================

From: Priscilla Ballou <vze23t8n[at]verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:14:41 GMT
--------
To make hash browns from shredded potatoes, you need to shred *raw* 
potatoes.  Home fries, OTOH, are make with chunked or sliced cold cooked 
potato.

============================

From: Dwayne <dwacon[at]my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:41:41 GMT
--------
Add lots of caramelized onions and freshly ground black pepper... and I
prefer to use olive oil to get to a golden brown.

============================

From: stenni[at]waynespenisyahoo.com (Hag)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:02:48 GMT
--------
shred raw taters, soak in ice cold water for a couple
hours..drain rinse and then pan fry in some oil until golden
brown....Hag k

============================

From: Jill McQuown <jmcquown[at]bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 05:05:25 -0600
--------
Hag wrote:
> >Does this sound correct?

Nope.

> shred raw taters, soak in ice cold water for a couple
> hours..drain rinse and then pan fry in some oil until golden
> brown....Hag k

I'll add to that, resist the urge to turn them too soon.  Let them get nice
and golden on one side before you flip them over.  You can take a tiny peek
using the spatula.

============================

From: hahabogus <not[at]applicable.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:49:09 GMT
--------
Jill McQuown wrote:
> I'll add to that, resist the urge to turn them too soon.  Let them get
> nice and golden on one side before you flip them over.  You can take a
> tiny peek using the spatula.

Here's where we get into defination trouble.

    Some call cubed day old pan fried potatoes home fries or hash browns or 
even pan fries in a pinch. When I use the day old boiled potatoes as a 
fried accompaniment to food I also add some onion and maybe some diced bell 
pepper. And I fry them in bacon fat. Slowly so they crisp up nice. 

============================

From: Priscilla Ballou <vze23t8n[at]verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:59:39 GMT
--------
hahabogus wrote:
>     Some call cubed day old pan fried potatoes home fries or hash browns or 
> even pan fries in a pinch. When I use the day old boiled potatoes as a 
> fried accompaniment to food I also add some onion and maybe some diced bell 
> pepper. And I fry them in bacon fat. Slowly so they crisp up nice.

Yeah, that's how I make my homefries, too.  I differentiate between home 
fries and hash browns.  The latter start as shredded raw potato.

============================

From: Alan Zelt <alzelt[at]worldnet.att.netFINNFAN>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 07:36:20 GMT
--------
hahabogus wrote:
>     Some call cubed day old pan fried potatoes home fries or hash browns or
> even pan fries in a pinch. When I use the day old boiled potatoes as a
> fried accompaniment to food I also add some onion and maybe some diced bell
> pepper. And I fry them in bacon fat. Slowly so they crisp up nice.

When throwing in the bell pepper, are you not creating a Potato O'Brian?

============================

From: Thierry Gerbault <ThierryGerbault[at]NOSPAM.att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 07:49:04 GMT
--------
Alan Zelt wrote:
> When throwing in the bell pepper, are you not creating a Potato
> O'Brian? 

That's what it sounds like to me.  Now, as long as he's not also throwing 
in the towel, it should be very tasty! <G>

============================

From: jammer <j[at]mm.er>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 02:10:56 -0600
--------
Hag wrote:
> shred raw taters, soak in ice cold water for a couple
> hours..drain rinse and then pan fry in some oil until golden
> brown....Hag k

Ah HA! The plot thickens! (ice water for several hours) Thanks!

============================

From: hahabogus <not[at]applicable.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:14:12 GMT
--------
Alan Zelt wrote:
> When throwing in the bell pepper, are you not creating a Potato
> O'Brian? 

Well maybe, but only cause you have still yet another name for pan fried 
potatoes. Not that, it's a bad idea to name different dishes, differing 
names but there ought to be a newsletter so a guy can keep up with them.

Seems I re created a already named dish. As I never heard of this brian guy 
and have been adding onion and peppers to day old boiled spuds for yrs 
(since I was in my 20's) 

============================

From: Dimitri <dimitri_c[at]prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:47:25 GMT
--------
Who am I wrote:
> I like shredded hash browns for breakfast a couple times a week.  I have
> not found a frozen hash brown I like. I understand that to make hash
> browns from real potatoes, one should boil and cool them.  Then put them
> in refrigerator till needed.
>
> Does this sound correct?

No!

>   What does the boiling do and what is the best
> potato to boil for shredded hash browns. Tonight, I boiled some russets
> and will try them tomorrow. I boiled small ones about 20 minutes and
> larger ones about 25-28 minutes, until a fork would go in easily. Does
> this sound correct?

NO!

Just grate raw potatoes,  rinse in water, dry, and fry!

============================

From: cmquinn[at]deletemindspring.com (Charles Quinn)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:02:37 GMT
--------
Who am I wrote:
>    What does the boiling do and what is the best
>potato to boil for shredded hash browns. Tonight, I boiled some russets
>and will try them tomorrow. I boiled small ones about 20 minutes and
>larger ones about 25-28 minutes, until a fork would go in easily. Does
>this sound correct?

I nuke mine a bit, then shred them using my mandolin.

Check out this website http://www.hashbrowner.com

============================

From: taz98273[at]webtv.net (Judy)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:40:56 -0800 (PST)
--------
Charles Quinn wrote:
> I nuke mine a bit, then shred them using my mandolin. <snip>

Glad someone enjoyed that post! LOL!  It was mentioned during a KCTS
Seattle cooking telethon about their pledge drive, "Potatoes" cookbook.
They usually spend a whole afternoon having different folks that
contributed recipes come in and demonstrate them on tv.  i've jotted
down some real winners from those specials, but the instructions are a
little sketchy, since its mostly all done live, with home cooks. (ktcs
viewers who gave recipes) 

They said it was a real "lifesaver" in their tv kitchen that weekend!!
LOL

Judy :O)

ObRecipes:

http://www.kcts.org/weekend/kitchen/cooks/recipes/index.asp

http://www.kcts.org/weekend/kitchen/recipes/recipe_55.htm

http://www.kcts.org/weekend/kitchen/recipes/index.htm



Return to BigSpud Menu