Return to BigSpud Menu

Subject: Azalie's favorite dish: whipped potatoes
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

============================

From: aasainz-NOSPAM-[at]ix.netcom.com (Bert)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:49:38 GMT
--------
My daughter and I were preparing the Thanksgiving menu last week and my
granddaughter Azalie (she is 8) was looking over our shoulders. After the list
was almost done she piped up "grandpa, please make sure you make some of your
mashed potatoes. They are my favorite."

I have been making this for many years and it is surprising how many people
compliment such a simple dish. It does have a couple of twists and is
certainly not low-fat or even low sodium.

Anyway, here is the recipe I use. It refrigerates well but you may not have
much left even if you make the huge amount I make. Note that these are whipped
potatoes, the texture is smooth and there are no chunks in it.

5 # potatoes (I like Yukon gold, they give a golden color to it)
1 6-1/2 ounce bottle whole pimentos, undrained
unsalted butter (about 1 pound, you will probably use less) at room
temperature
milk
salt
1 lemon or a splash of vinegar

Fill a large flat bottom with enough water to cover the potatoes. Add enough
salt so the water tastes like sea water. Add juice of one lemon or the
equivalent amount of vinegar. This will make the finished potatoes light in
color.

Peel potatoes and slice into about 3/8 inch slices. Add to pot and cook until
cooked through. That should be about 20 minutes after the water starts to
boil. Do not overcook, they should not break apart when poked with a skewer.

Drain water from potatoes. Keep potatoes in the same pot you cooked them, add
two sticks of the butter, ADD THE LIQUID THAT CAME WITH THE PIMENTOS and about
1/4 cup of milk. Use a wire potato masher to mash until the potatoes are very
smooth, no discernible pieces of potato. You may have to add more milk to get
a smooth, soft consistency. It should not be runny but it should be soft.

Taste and adjust the salt (dissolve in a little milk). Look at the surface of
the potatoes. There should be a sheen to them. If no sheen add more butter and
whip some more until the surface is shiny. This should take at least three
sticks of butter and perhaps more.

Using the potato masher whip the mix to get air into it. There should be no
chunks or pieces of potato in them. The color should be creamy golden with a
slight pink cast to it. The consitency should be fluffy

Place in a suitable serving container if you so wish. I usually serve in the
same pot I made them in. Cut the pimentos into slices about 1/4 inch wide.
Place on top of potatoes in a radial pattern with some of the slices around
the circunference. Any irregular pieces go in the center, chopped small.

This dish will have a pimento undertaste. Don't be surprised if people ask for
more, it is addicting.

If you have any leftovers you can refrigerate. Reheat the next day, whipping
it lightly to get the same fluffy texture. Or drop spoonfuls into hot oil and
fry until they start getting gold colored. Drain well.

Hope you like it.

============================

From: Jean B. <jbxyz[at]rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:54:58 -0500
--------
Nice story, Bert, and thank you for sharing your recipe.  

============================

From: aasainz-NOSPAM-[at]ix.netcom.com (Bert)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 05:32:59 GMT
--------
Jean B. wrote:
> Nice story, Bert, and thank you for sharing your recipe.

My pleasure. And, please, let me know if you like it.

============================

From: John Gaughan <john[at]johngaughan.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:11:54 -0600
--------
Bert wrote:
> My daughter and I were preparing the Thanksgiving menu last week and
> my granddaughter Azalie (she is 8) was looking over our shoulders.
> After the list was almost done she piped up "grandpa, please make
> sure you make some of your mashed potatoes. They are my favorite."

I am making this recipe tomorrow. It sounds good, I can't wait!

============================

From: aasainz-NOSPAM-[at]ix.netcom.com (Bert)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 05:35:29 GMT
--------
John Gaughan wrote:
> I am making this recipe tomorrow. It sounds good, I can't wait!

It is a hand down from my mother. Adding the liquid in the pimentos makes the
difference.

It is easy to make. I hope you will enjoy it.

============================

From: John Gaughan <john[at]johngaughan.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:39:33 -0600
--------
Bert wrote:

> It is a hand down from my mother. Adding the liquid in the pimentos
> makes the difference.

Yes, it does. I tasted it before and after adding the liquid. The liquid 
added a little kick to it that most mashed potatoes do not have. Rather 
than lay the pimentos on top, I mixed them in at the end. It was a bit 
easier and I had some in every bite. This recipe certainly has more 
flavor than any other mashed potato recipe I've tried.

> It is easy to make. I hope you will enjoy it.

My wife even likes it. She hates pimentos too.

This recipe will be a regular guest at our Thanksgiving dinners from now on.

============================

From: aasainx-NOSPAM-[at]ix.netcom.com (Bert)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 04:45:40 GMT
--------
John Gaughan wrote:
> Yes, it does. I tasted it before and after adding the liquid. The liquid
> added a little kick to it that most mashed potatoes do not have. Rather
> than lay the pimentos on top, I mixed them in at the end. It was a bit
> easier and I had some in every bite. This recipe certainly has more
> flavor than any other mashed potato recipe I've tried.

Interesting, I will try chopping the pimentos and adding them in. It should
make a festive looking dish.

I am back from my daughter's home where we had TG dinner. Azalie had three
servings. :-)

Thanks for reporting back. I really appreciate it.

I am glad you liked it.


Return to BigSpud Menu